Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of Back Story.

Original issue : A day ago my radio started a new thing in which it would freeze up any audio played from any source for about 3-4 seconds and would repeat every 3-4 seconds. I did my rounds of relay/fuse checks, computer restart etc..
non of those things worked so it was on to the wonderful journey of replacement.

Current Issue: So I obtained a OEM 2008-2012 Dodge Nitro Radio ( see pictures below ) This radio has the exact same inputs/build/dimensions as my OEM Caliber radio, fits like a glove. However, the only difference is that my original radio has a sat line for it and the Nitros does not. Not a big deal ( i think ) .

So against better judgment, I attempted to just plug and chug the old in for the new, I was meant with a slew of dash warning lights randomly flashing, odd start-up process, and a few other, not normal things. I plugged my old one back in and everything was normal. So at this point, I was sure I needed a wiring harness. So I went out to buy one.

Part 2 of Current Issue: (See below for attached images) So I purchased a " Dodge etc: one size fits all kind of deal for the wiring harness, I was under the assumption this would work.

Both input ports on the Nitros radio are "male " only and the original connection to the vehicle being female ( this is true for both the Nitro and Caliber, the wiring harness, however, is all "Male" and no female so I can splice to the vehicle but not back to the Nitros radio.

My current issue is that I am at a complete loss and I don't know what to do from here. I'm in a pinch because I leave for a road trip on Monday and thought for sure this would be a fix as money for a fully professional job is not going to happen. Please help. ( all photos of radio is the OEM Nitro 2008-2012 radio)

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are no [same year] Dodge Calibers in junkyards where you live?

Just switching out radios from different vehicles stopped being easy a few decades back. For whatever reason, automobile designers seem to think factory stereos are a high-theft item and have wired them to interact with the security/computer system of the car.

A pull & replace will almost always cause problems today. There's less of a chance if a factory stereo is replaced with another factory radio from the same vehicle type and year; 2008 Caliber R/T with another 2008 Caliber.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in with a different idea - but this has been my experience with several different vehicles (Dodge, VW, Ford).

·
Super Moderator
12,130 Posts
In 12 years no one has broken my window and removed my radio,
That's progress for me, at least the word has got out to some degenerates, and the street value of used Chrysler radios is zero.

And to the OP you can get your radio recoded AT A DEALER provided you have full documentation for the car and unit.

The Chrysler CANBUS range of head units were interchangeable based on options and size/shape. They operate in the same way regardless of model fitment.

The aftermarket wiring harnesses are usually adapters to make non-CANBUS units adaptable after a fashion.

'Best' solution for most is to upgrade to a new modern Android CANBUS unit, not much more than paying a main dealer.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The harness kit is designed for aftermarket head units...the adapters you have plug into the factory wiring harness. If you were to purchase an aftermarket unit (Kenwood, Pioneer, etc.), it would come with similar harnesses that plug into the radio itself and have bare wires on the other end. The idea is that you make a custom head unit harness for your car by connecting each wire from the kit's harnesses to its matching wire on the head unit's harnesses.

This used to be a simple thing to do...you had two wires for each speaker, a constant power wire, a switched power wire, and a ground wire. Maybe there were a few other wires for controlling a power antenna or whatnot, but it was still a simple understandable process. However with modern cars and all of the crazy complexity, nothing is easy anymore. Nowadays the head unit often can't be upgraded because it's an integral part of the car's electronics.

Take the next paragraph with a grain of salt. I took a look at the wiring diagrams and what's available over at Crutchfield and it does appear that the factory head unit is part of the CANBUS system. However, it doesn't appear that the head unit itself is acting as a CANBUS controller for any other devices. If your car has the base sound system it does appear that you can put in an aftermarket head unit fairly easily with no ill effects. There's even an additional module you can buy to retain the steering wheel audio controls (if you have them).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts