Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2012 Dodge Caliber SXT with 144,000 miles, the passenger side low and high beams not working. I removed the bulb from the passenger side and installed on the drivers side and low and high work perfectly. I have done the soft and hard resets and still not working, what am I missing? Thanks, Ken

·
Super Moderator
12,130 Posts
Work backwards on the loom and check for corrosion at connections and breaks in insulation.

·
Super Moderator
12,130 Posts
Before unwrapping wire bundles one other thought of a previous members experience - it is possible for a bulb to blow but still work.

His bulb shorted and deactivated the circuit in a way where his 'broken' filament when inverted still made contact on the other side.

Confirm you have tried the circuit resets AFTER installing a new set of bulbs? It can be cheaper/quicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before unwrapping wire bundles one other thought of a previous members experience - it is possible for a bulb to blow but still work.

His bulb shorted and deactivated the circuit in a way where his 'broken' filament when inverted still made contact on the other side.

Confirm you have tried the circuit resets AFTER installing a new set of bulbs? It can be cheaper/quicker.
Brand new bulb installed does not light up either, low or high beam. What and how do you reset the circuit?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Chryslers are known for developing problems with their grounds and if both your high and low passenger beams aren't working it could very well be the ground that they share is bad. The black/pink wire on the bulb holder is the ground...if you run a jumper from it to the body of the car and your lights work, then the ground is bad....either a break in the wire between the bulb and its ground point (G110) or you have serious corrosion on the G110 ground that needs to be cleaned up. Below is a picture to show you where G110 is.

If it's not the ground then you'll want to check the wiring from the bulb holder back to the TIPM, but it's hard to believe two wires would suddenly go bad. Odds are that the high and low beam drivers in your TIPM have failed...it's not an uncommon problem. Connector C5, pin 3 on the TIPM is your low beam, connector C4 pin 3 is your high beam.

If you find that it's your TIPM you can either replace it for big money or use the driver's side high and low beam wires as control wires to turn on and off some $10 high power relays for the headlights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have removed G110 ground and cleaned, I haven't tried the separate ground jumper yet. I will give that a try and post the result. I have replaced the tipm with a remanufactured unit from MAKS. What is this I read in some posts about taking it to Chrysler or Dodge dealer to reset the computer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank Aleks and chrisf2012 for their suggestions and chrisf2012 thank you for posting the diagram, it was very helpful. I have got my passenger side low and high beams working again, power is being sent thru the ground wire when the connected to the bulb, disconnected from the bulb, 1 power wire for low beam, 1 power wire for high beam, and no power coming thru ground wire. What is causing this to happen, I don't know? I cut the existing ground wire 6 inches back from the connector, spliced in a 6 inch piece of wire with a solderless connector on one side and and eye loop on the other side and fastened it with the stud G110. I hope this helps other Caliber owners with the same problem, don't purchase a TIPM, if you have a little automotive knowledge you don't have to bring it to a Dodge dealer. You just have to have a little patience and thoroughly diagnose the problem and find the solution. Next up, I need to find out why power is coming thru the ground wire when connector is hooked up to the bulb? I'm guessing headlight switch.

·
Registered
572 Posts
power is being sent thru the ground wire when the connected to the bulb, disconnected from the bulb, 1 power wire for low beam, 1 power wire for high beam, and no power coming thru ground wire. What is causing this to happen, I don't know?
The most likely reason for this is that one of the other grounds for the car (probably one nearby) is bad and now you have power looking for a new path back to the negative terminal on your battery. Electricity takes the path of least resistance and at least some of that voltage is finding that path through your headlight circuit. It's called backfeeding.

Removing the headlight bulb from the socket breaks the circuit and since electricity won't flow through a wire unless the circuit is complete, there's no voltage on the ground wire. As soon as you put in that bulb you've completed the circuit so electricity starts backfeeding through the ground wire.

Measure the voltage between either of the headlight power wires and the ground wire now. Normally it would be 12-12.5V but if your ground wire has a voltage on it (for example, say, 3V), then you'll only see 9-9.5V on your meter. If that's the case, you NEED to find the bad ground and fix it. Electricity finding its way back to the battery through the wrong paths can actually physically damage things like transmissions. Easiest way to track down the bad ground is to put your meter on the headlight circuit so you can see the backfeed voltage, the start pulling fuses until the meter changes. You'll then have identified the circuit (or one of them) that's causing the problem. Find the ground point for that circuit and fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2012 Dodge Caliber SXT with 144,000 miles, the passenger side low and high beams not working. I removed the bulb from the passenger side and installed on the drivers side and low and high work perfectly. I have done the soft and hard resets and still not working, what am I missing? Thanks, Ken
How do I perform this hard and soft reset!?

·
Super Moderator
12,130 Posts
Nothing if you follow the owners handbook.
Disconnect your battery BEFORE starting work on any electrical system, or engine mechanicals.
This includes innocuous things like opening light clusters where you maybe touching connectors or straining wires.
When finished reconnecting the battery will initiate a systems check including powering up circuits.
The car will deactivate a circuit with a continuing fault such as a blown bulb or shorted wire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts