Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems 2010 Dodge Caliber stalling on intersections. The first time it happened was almost 6 months ago. I had to start the engine again to get it going again. After that it happened again a couple months afterwards. Finally recently it happened twice in only a two weak span. After the first time recently I thought it was a problem with the spark plugs so I replaced them, but after that it happened again. I haven't gotten a check engine light at all at any accidents. I have noticed though the performance has gotten worse. When I press on the throttle pedal I feel like it takes a half second longer for the engine to rev up. If anybody has any ideas let me know. I've done researched and seen that it could be the idle air control valve or possible the fuel filter/pump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This happened to me right after I’d fill up with gas at one gas station.

I used SeaFoam spray in the intake (entire can takes about 10 minutes to empty - follow directions on the can), and I haven’t had any problems since.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could be anything, except... if it runs well at normal or high speed and higher RPM, then it is probably not the fuel pump. These cars do not have fuel filters.

Can you describe the problem in more detail? Does it stall when you stop, or when you are starting to move again? What engine and transmission do you have in the car? 1.8, 2.0, 2.4? CVT or manual?

How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be anything, except... if it runs well at normal or high speed and higher RPM, then it is probably not the fuel pump. These cars do not have fuel filters.

Can you describe the problem in more detail? Does it stall when you stop, or when you are starting to move again? What engine and transmission do you have in the car? 1.8, 2.0, 2.4? CVT or manual?

How many miles are on the car?
It runs fine at higher RPM. I have a 2.0 Liter engine with a CVT transmission. My car has around 140k miles on it. I do not actually know if it happens when I stop or whenever I try to move again as I don't pay attention, but I believe it is when I try to move again as whenever I move my foot off the brakes to the gas pedal, obviously I don't move and the engine is stalled so I instinctively move my foot back to the brakes and I am no longer able to press the brakes back down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could be a dirty or bad throttle body, or, as 672aq suggests, a bottle of Seafoam might help. But, then again, it could be a number of things.

Have you had the engine trouble codes read? You need more detail to diagnose this.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be a dirty or bad throttle body, or, as 672aq suggests, a bottle of Seafoam might help. But, then again, it could be a number of things.

Have you had the engine trouble codes read? You need more detail to diagnose this.
No I haven't. I haven't gotten any check engine lights at all, but if it helps then I will.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could help to see if there are any historical trouble codes stored.

Cleaning up your throttle body is also a good next step.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does this mean, are your brakes locked on? You would stall.
So right after I press onto the gas pedal and realize the engine stalled, the first time it happened the intersection was on an incline so I started to move backwards slightly. There were cars behind so I tried hitting the brakes. The brakes though were stiff and I wasn't able to press down on them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
So right after I press onto the gas pedal and realize the engine stalled, the first time it happened the intersection was on an incline so I started to move backwards slightly. There were cars behind so I tried hitting the brakes. The brakes though were stiff and I wasn't able to press down on them.
That's because with the engine not running you had no power assist for the brakes. You have to press down on them HARD to use them in non-power manual mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's because with the engine not running you had no power assist for the brakes. You have to press down on them HARD to use them in non-power manual mode.
Yes I understand that. That is why I believe the engine stalls when I try to accelerate not when I come to a stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts