Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s smoke coming from the rear of the engine (2010 Caliber SXT)… near what looks like a connection to the drivetrain.

There’s no check engine light but the sensor looks like it was exposed to higher than normal temperature and a slight reddish oil around that area.

Can anyone help with naming the parts and what the issue/fix may be?

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk

·
Registered
434 Posts
That looks like the #1 Oxygen sensor, located on top of the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter.

It's that time of year where leaves can get into the engine bay and collect on top of that manifold.

Could this be the issue here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 672aq.

I also found where it was the catalytic converter (?) covered with oil.

I couldn’t imagine where oil would have anything to do with that area and took a look further up the engine, while the car was running, and saw what looked like dust floating about. It turned out to be a mist of oil coming from the head gasket right above that assembly (looks like white lines in the picture since I can’t post the video)… looks like it’s burning up on the catalytic converter.

Could be worse I guess… about to look up changing the gasket and hope that’s all it is.
Helmet Hat Sun hat Gas Auto part

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oohhh... Chit.

Would it be possible to just tighten the head bolts in that area to squish the gasket just enough?

What oil are you using, and when is the last time the oil filter was changed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out I lied… found out it’s really the valve cover gasket I was referring to when I called the auto parts store.

Oil change just a few months ago (high mileage of the recommended weight… I forget) but rarely drove this car until our primary vehicle quit on us.

I’m going to take you up on checking that the bolts are tight before I do anything else though😂

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, so turned out to be the valve cover gasket broken in a couple places and just misting oil onto the engine.
I replaced the gasket and a starter since then, but my most recent issue is a chipped compressor pulley… the serpentine belt won’t start on and that’s the only thing that doesn’t seem right.
I started the search for this fix on a new post, 2010 Dodge Caliber Compressor Pulley Cracked.
Thanks for the help on this one👊
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Font Rim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts