Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I am somewhat new to repairs but normally I know what I'm doing. Either with service manuals or youtube instructions. I was in the middle of changing out the hub bearing, in the process i decided to change the inner and outer tie rod and stabilizer link also. Anyway, i am having issues getting the bolt out from the control arm. It wont spin, I sprayed it with PB I have tried jacking up different spots, and a hammer... Any suggestions? I also discovered what looks like missing pieces from the knuckle where the hub fits inside... can anyone tell me what I should do or if this is a problem and how to get the bolt out from the control arm to remove the knuckle?
    20200517_220726.jpg
    20200517_220717.jpg
    20200517_220732.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’d try using a small torch to heat up the nut before trying to remove it.

The heat will expand metal, the nut, making it slightly larger than the bolt, and should come off.

If not, try heating the whole area - the metals expanding and contracting at different rates will break any stubborn rust holding things together.

Other options; using a long breaker bar (with a heavy-duty socket), an impact wrench (again, with a heavy-duty impact socket), or a bolt splitter.

If this is for the rear, keep in mind that the “nut” on the upper part is welded - the bolt needs to be removed from the [almost impossible to get a wrench to fit] forward-facing side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying! The problem is not with getting the nut off the bolt. The nut is off, I cant get the bolt out of the holes...
20200518_154330.jpg
20200518_154308.jpg
20200518_154234.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you tried using a tool called a “pickle fork?” It’s used as a wedge between the balljoint and the part you’re having issues with.

Harbor Freight has them for like $10.

Maybe forget about removing that bolt for now, and see about pounding a pickle fork in there to force the joint from that clamp. Use with a hammer or small metal mallet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That bolt locks the ball joint to the knuckle so if you want to separate the control arm from the knuckle, you need to remove that bolt. Put the nut back on the end of the bolt so it's even with the end of the bolt and whale on it with a goodly sized hammer.

The missing bits from the area around the bearing appear to be a badly corroded snap ring. See those two hooks near the ends of the ring? You use a pair of snap ring pliers to draw those hooks towards each other. That reduces the diameter of the ring, allowing you to remove/install it from/into the groove in the hub (which you can kinda see). The rust is going to play havoc with this though. Best bet is to tap around the circumference of the ring with a hammer and a screwdriver to try and loosen up the rust, get some PB Blaster all the way around there, then try tapping on one of the ends of the ring with the intention of getting it to rotate in the groove. Prying up underneath the ends of the ring might help with loosening things up. Once you free it up, use snap pliers to remove it.

Make sure to clean those grooves up thoroughly and use plenty of Fluid Film when you install the new snap rings to try and prevent a reoccurrance of the rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts