Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hope all has been well for everyone on here and beyond,

I have another question, pretty weird problem I am having if I do say so myself, but before I explain the problem I have to address where I am located, I live in Alabama, (really hot this summer), And my radiator cap was leaking (I thought) come to find out it was the hose, which had a small leak/hole in it, How did I find that out you might ask, well smoke was coming from the hood due to the water spitting out all over the hot engine while I was driving, took it to a shop and they replaced the hose and sent me on my way with no more leak, YaY! A day or two later, I noticed my temp gauge was above the normal operation temp, which I had this car for a while and it never got past halfway, in fact, it always use to stay just a tad bit below the halfway point, but ever since that hose was changed its been acting a bit off, when I am driving at a hefty speed (35-50) MPH that temp gauge stays as it always did (below the halfway point) However when I sit and let the car idle, like at a stop light or something, the temp gauge slowly moves toward Hot, but when I pick up speed it goes back down, which I'm assuming it does that (cools itself down) because the airflow it gets when the car is moving, it never seems to get all the way to hot, but the line above "Normal", people have told me, that's "Normal" but as long as I had this car, this has never happened,

No milky stuff in the oil which would obviously indicate a BHG,
before they changed the hose, it was cooling and operating as normal,

I know you guys can't pinpoint the issue, but could anyone give me a good guess on what it could be? My best guess would be a faulty thermostat? Or perhaps.............................?

Thanks a lot, be blessed

·
Registered
710 Posts
First thing I'd check are the radiator cooling fans...if they don't come on then the car could overheat at idle/low speeds. Turn on your AC...the fans should automatically turn on when you do that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just ran into this problem..Drained and flushed radiator and cooling system and replaced both thermostats. Back to normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts