Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 Dodge Caliber used from a dealer I’ve noticed when I accelerate I heard a loud scrape sound.... kind of how a muffler would sound scraping against cement....You can also hear the sound Randomly while the car Is at rest and when you first start it up. I’ve checked underneath the hood and the sound does not seem to be coming from there and the dealer put in all new brakes before I bought the car. Has anyone else experienced this ? Or know possible what it could be ? I also have to push a bit harder on the gas to have it move.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Since you say it's not under the hood and it does it with the car at idle, the first thing that comes to mind are the heat shields that sit above the exhaust pipes underneath the car. They're held in by bolts but over time the area of the aluminum shield under the bolt can rot away, allowing the shield to come loose. If any part of it is resting against the muffler, you could get a scraping sound when the car is moving or at idle. Remove the bolts and install some larger stainless steel washers underneath them to reattach the shield.

It could also be an internal failure of either the muffler or the catalytic converter...if the guts of either break apart you'll get metallic scraping sounds. Bang on both with a rubber mallet and see if they rattle at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
Don't forget all the plastic too, over time techs do not replace all the fixing pins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts