Dodge Caliber Forum banner

2007 transmission cartridge filter

12K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Aleks 
#1 ·
Where is this located: it is a cartridge filter for the tranny on CVT's. Where would it be on a 2007? THANKS.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can't service the CVT transmission yourself except for a fluid change. They're not rebuildable, as even JATCO (manufacturer) scraps the old ones and puts new ones in. Good luck with that if you've taken yours that far apart.

#8 ·
I already changed the tanny oil and pan, and there is a 'regular' filter as such in the bottom of the unit as always, This cartridge type is not typical to the regular maintenence and I thought was in the engine bay as part of the cooler circuit line. That is why I sent pics.

#10 ·
UPDATE...... Our 2007 dodge caliber had the CVT transmission constantly overheating. I found this thread. Thanks to Aleks posting the pic of the secondary cartridge filter in the cooler we purchased and replaced it. It IS serviceable and resolved the overheating problem immediately! The original cartridge filter was completely clogged which was causing the issue. Every owner of a CVT transmission should be aware of this quick and inexpensive fix 😁

#13 ·
Are there two filters in the CVT? One in the oil pan and one in the cooler?

Seems like this needs a full DIY writeup with part numbers for each filter and procedures to change the filters and refill the fluid.

If these filters are clogging up, it could be the cause of many CVT failures.

#14 ·
It would be a JATCO part

Auto Trans Filter-Premium Replacement ATP B-429

NISSAN OEM RE0F10A/B, JF011E (CVT) Filter Cartridge Dodge Caliber 2007+
31726-1XF00

The regular MOPAR pan

Auto Trans Filter Kit Mopar 05191890AA

Personally I would look at the Oil Cooler too

68025160AA TRANSMISSION AUXILIARY OIL COOLER Used up to 11/01/2009

• Love
Reactions: JifOnToast
#16 ·
Underneath. No. Could not see one. Cooler should probably be checked, cleaned.

#17 ·
Trying to find a solution for my transmission temp light coming on and being in limp mode and came across this post. Just wanted to say that the video posted above by Aleks goes step by step through changing both filters, and although the vehicle in the video is some type of Jeep (not Caliber), it likely has same transmission. I am not a mechanic and found the procedure fairly easy and the video provides necessary info.

I was a little surprised by a few things:

Although the fluid removed was dark (I have 138,00 miles on my car and it has never been changed), it did not have a burnt smell;
The inside of transmission viewed from below after pan was removed was amazingly clean looking (if someone told me it was brand new I could have believed it);
I got 6 quarts + 1 cup of fluid from draining procedure, which was more than any other such procedure I had seen or read about.

That's it. I posted to this forum about my issue maybe 6 weeks (or more) ago and never got any response so maybe I posted to wrong place, don't really know what happened, even edited post down thinking first post was too long but still no responses.

#18 ·
the vehicle in the video is some type of Jeep (not Caliber), it likely has same transmission. I am not a mechanic and found the procedure fairly easy and the video provides necessary info.

I posted to this forum about my issue maybe 6 weeks (or more) ago and never got any response so maybe I posted to wrong place, don't really know what happened, even edited post down thinking first post was too long but still no responses.
Video name is
how to change BOTH transmission filters on CVT jeep Patriot & Compass - dodge caliber - IN DEPTH 4K
From underneath with wheels off be hard to spot a difference.

Your first post was in general - I'll move it to electrical maintenance. First posts for a new member should be in introductions. Asking for a specific answer on the forum relies upon someone logging on with your particular experience who reads through it and is motivated to make a reply. In general we are a repository of users experience and if you learn something which may be helpful to others in future (even yourself) we appreciate a clear posting. You did not say if you had a replacement part, sometimes the fitting becomes clear from examining the detail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.