Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is this located: it is a cartridge filter for the tranny on CVT's. Where would it be on a 2007? THANKS.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
You can't service the CVT transmission yourself except for a fluid change. They're not rebuildable, as even JATCO (manufacturer) scraps the old ones and puts new ones in. Good luck with that if you've taken yours that far apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't service the CVT transmission yourself except for a fluid change. They're not rebuildable, as even JATCO (manufacturer) scraps the old ones and puts new ones in. Good luck with that if you've taken yours that far apart.
We talkin' this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The fact that they can not be repaired would seem all the more reason to properly maintain don't you think?
The filter is inside the pan and obviously requires changing the fluid at the same time. This is not a trivial DIY job, take it to a dealer or do your homework before getting into it.

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
CVT cooler

SAM_0649.jpg

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I honestly don't know if that's advisable for a DIY'er or not. I have never worked on a CVT. I'm just going by everything I've read about them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fact that they can not be repaired would seem all the more reason to properly maintain don't you think?
The filter is inside the pan and obviously requires changing the fluid at the same time. This is not a trivial DIY job, take it to a dealer or do your homework before getting into it.

I already changed the tanny oil and pan, and there is a 'regular' filter as such in the bottom of the unit as always, This cartridge type is not typical to the regular maintenence and I thought was in the engine bay as part of the cooler circuit line. That is why I sent pics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the secondary transmission cartridge filter is non-serviceable why can you buy the cartridge filter after market ???? Obviously if the part is available it has to be serviceable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE...... Our 2007 dodge caliber had the CVT transmission constantly overheating. I found this thread. Thanks to Aleks posting the pic of the secondary cartridge filter in the cooler we purchased and replaced it. It IS serviceable and resolved the overheating problem immediately! The original cartridge filter was completely clogged which was causing the issue. Every owner of a CVT transmission should be aware of this quick and inexpensive fix 😁

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are there two filters in the CVT? One in the oil pan and one in the cooler?

Seems like this needs a full DIY writeup with part numbers for each filter and procedures to change the filters and refill the fluid.

If these filters are clogging up, it could be the cause of many CVT failures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts