Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a Caliber forum, but they share the same ideology.

I've got a 2007 Jeep Compass Limited 5MT 4x2 that I'm the original owner to (bought with 7 miles on the odometer). I'm the one that primarily works on it. Currently it is sitting with 387k miles on it.

I recently ran into an issue with a P0456 Very Small Leak. So I replaced the fuel filler neck, vacuum pressure sensor, purge valve, EVAP canister, tried two different fuel caps and still keep getting that code. Even has a hard cold start because of it. I've got my own smoke tester and I spent hours smoking myself self out with it and for the life of me, I don't see any leaks.

Fast forward to last week, my entire driver's side lights went out, fog light, head light (both low and high beam) and parking/turn signal lamp went out. I tried tracing the grounds and came up empty handed. However, I believe it's a rust issue. If anyone can point me in the right direction on this, that would be helpful. For now I just wired in new grounds to each of the lights off the chassis as a get me by so I can legally drive it.

Lastly, I got a P0038 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2). I swapped both O2 sensors out using genuine Mopar O2 sensors, cleared the code, and drove it. Came right back. I'm thinking it's not getting proper voltage to the heater control circuit. Any ideas on that one?

Ideally I would like to get to a half million miles off this vehicle if possible. It's been one heck of a machine. Only left me stranded once with a bad fuel pump at 167k miles.

Thank you for anyone's help on this!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, after many more hours of troubleshooting, I found the problem to all my problems. The bonded ground wiring underneath the air ram where the battery is was corroding off. The only thing that was holding it on was the insulation only on a few wires. Some were OK (mostly the larger gauge wires). Even though I looked at it multiple times, I failed to look close enough to see that the copper wires were literally disintegrated off the ring terminal.

So I cut both of the ring terminals off, stripped and soldered the wires back and replaced them with new ring terminals. I cleared the codes with my Autel, and to my expectation, the P0038 went away after starting it, and the Compass started right up without hesitation for a cold start. Really won't know about the P0456 until a few drive cycles, but I have a very good feeling that it was inherent to the grounding problems.

I still need to return the headlights, fog lights and the turn/parking lights back to the OE wiring locations, but that will be for a later date as it's not a huge deal right now. I'll do that when I'm bored.

I sure hope this helps someone down the line.

If anyone needs help on this run of Jeep Compasses, I am very familiar with them and obviously have kept this one on the road for such a long time. Anyone else if they had to deal with a mechanic they would've gotten rid of it a long time ago with the suspension woes and other quirks. Everything else about the vehicle is great, but the front suspension was poorly thought out.

FWIW, it made my day fixing this Compass. While I don't necessarily love the vehicle (well I guess I do to put this much effort in keeping it alive), it's a great vehicle for going back and forth to work and to pickup lumber and other goods with the folding front passenger seat. I actually had to get some 2x6x10s and some 1/2"x10' EMT conduit for a project I'm working on and they fit right in this thing versus me using my huge truck. I'm also one of those types that prides myself on keeping a vehicle roadworthy and safe for many many miles.

So long for now!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts