Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dodge caliber cranks but won’t start. Sometimes I have to continuously turn the key off and on severally or abandon it for a while before starting again when it will start. When it starts everything works normally. Can you help please

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
On Calibers starting problems always begin with the battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On Calibers starting problems always begin with the battery.
Thanks Aleks but I have a strong battery, alternator and starter are all in good condition. When luckily it starts, it runs smoothly. But it appears the sound from the fuel pump has been so loud. Can it be a sign of a bad fuel pump? Or that’s how they are originally?

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
Could be intermittent so difficult to diagnose or a mechanic to work on. If you hear the fuel pump that is better than not.
Any fuel smells leaks? What else has been going on. When you come back after how long does it start first time?

The key movement is how many times and how successful? Do you have the second key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be intermittent so difficult to diagnose or a mechanic to work on. If you hear the fuel pump that is better than not.
Any fuel smells leaks? What else has been going on. When you come back after how long does it start first time?

The key movement is how many times and how successful? Do you have the second key.
I don’t smell any leaks. I have only one key. Sometimes after waiting for a while trying once will start it or twice. The key turns twice to a start.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don’t smell any leaks. I have only one key. Sometimes after waiting for a while trying once will start it or twice. The key turns twice to a start.
If the car sometimes starts but then runs for a few seconds at most and then dies, then your key is not paired to ECU and the security system fuel cut off is activating. You will need your key re-paried to the ECU by a dealer.

If the car does sometimes start and then runs for more than a few seconds, then your key is fine and your problem is elsewhere.

Assuming your key is fine, I'd say the next step is to pull the codes from the ECU and post them here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the car sometimes starts but then runs for a few seconds at most and then dies, then your key is not paired to ECU and the security system fuel cut off is activating. You will need your key re-paried to the ECU by a dealer.

If the car does sometimes start and then runs for more than a few seconds, then your key is fine and your problem is elsewhere.

Assuming your key is fine, I'd say the next step is to pull the codes from the ECU and post them here.

Sometimes the car starts and runs smoothly. B2104, B218B, P0533 are the codes reading

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
30 Posts
B2104 - Ignition run/start control circuit low
B218B - Ignition run/start 1 control circuit overcurrent
P0533 - A/C pressure sensor circuit high

Service manual states all these codes have possibility of wire(s) shorting to ground. Check all the connectors and ground points related to the issues for any shorts or corrosion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B2104 - Ignition run/start control circuit low
B218B - Ignition run/start 1 control circuit overcurrent
P0533 - A/C pressure sensor circuit high

Service manual states all these codes have possibility of wire(s) shorting to ground. Check all the connectors and ground points related to the issues for any shorts or corrosion.
Ok thank you so much

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
30 Posts
What is TIPM? where is it located?
TIPM is a fusebox with a circuit board inside that controls all the electricals of the vehicle. It is located on the driver side of the engine compartment, just behind the battery.
Due to where it is located, it is prone to corrosion despite its importance and it is very expensive to replace it as new. ($800~1000 USD)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TIPM is a fusebox with a circuit board inside that controls all the electricals of the vehicle. It is located on the driver side of the engine compartment, just behind the battery.
Due to where it is located, it is prone to corrosion despite its importance and it is very expensive to replace it as new. ($800~1000 USD)
Ok thanks. I’ve had it checked twice since the problem started. I think I will have to try replacing it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Main relay...it's in a small black box between the left front headlight and the left front wheel. Remove left front wheel and wheel well liner and you'll see it. Open the box and see if any of the relay legs/sockets are rotten. Very common problem and a bad relay will cause the car to no crank/no start while the rest of the electricals seem to work okay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello everyone,
I would like to say a very big thank you to each one of you here for the suggestions to resolve the car’s issues. Your suggestions have helped me a lot.
It may interest you to know that I’ve changed my TIPM ( the fuse box ) and since yesterday, the car has been good again. Thank you all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts