Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well let me say I've been stalking the forum for a while trying to find TIPM issues and resolutions for my problem.

I'll start off by saying one night there was heavy rain and I was driving on the interstate. During that storm my windshield wipers decided to slow down to a stop. Then they decided to only work on HIGH speed. They refused to work on low speed or even park themselves. I tried resetting the TIPM by disconnecting the battery and holding the cables together. Did not seem to work. I purchased a new wiper motor. Installed it but the problem was still there. Only high and no low or park.

Sometime went buy and I purchased a TIPM from a salvage yard off of another 07 Caliber. I disconnected the battery, took out the old TIPM, and put in the new to me TIPM. I reconnected the battery and turned the car on. The front windshield wiper blades now work BUT when they park they park up and down and not across the windshield like they are suppose to. Now the rear wiper doesn't work / move! I took out the new to me TIPM and replaced it with the old TIPM. Front windshield wipers did not function properly (only high no low / park) and the rear wiper worked.

Did I get a bad TIPM with issues or do I need to have this programmed to my car and the world will be right again? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone:
There's a lot of conflicting testimony about whether you can solve your TIPM problems by using a salvage yard TIPM. I'm going to respond to this by breifly telling everyone my TIPM story:

My headlights didn't work. Replaced with a couple of salvage yard TIPMs. In both cases the headlights started working, but the backup lights stopped working. Also, I got an airbag warning light. Then I tried a remanufactured TIPM. Did the battery cable together and 12 second resetting procedure. Now the headlights and backup lights worked. However, the airbag light was still coming on. Took it to a Dodge dealer, who "reconfigured" the TIPM for $60 and now everything works--knock on wood!
They told me a Dodge that remanufactured units have been wiped clean of codes. Surprisingly, dealers don't have the instrumnets to do this whereas the remanufacturers do. The 12 second thing will load the VIN and other data onto a wiped clean remanufactured TIPM, whereas it won't to a salvage yard unit.

Moral of the story: A salvage yard TIPM may get you going again and you might have enough functionality to use the car, but if you don't, buy a remanufactured unit from a remanufacturer. I got mine for $280 whereas Dodge wanted $750 for theirs. Then if you still can't get full functionality by resetting it yourself, take it to Dodge and have them reset it. They can do it better than you can.

BTW midatlanticautocore.com will buy your salvage yard TIPMs for $100 if you accumulate a few of those in trying to save a few dollars by doing it yourself.

Hope this helps
Happy Calibering

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mustanger,

Thank you for your reply! I'm going to see if perhaps I can get this TIPM returned and purchase a re manufactured one. The ones that Dorman sell are roughly $467. I'd get a discount but that's still pretty steep. I was a bit nervous about purchasing one from a salvage yard but I was trying to save a buck or two. I was hoping that maybe a dealer could flash it for me and all would be right in the world but I have yet to take it to a dealer. As you said "get you going again" is exactly what this TIPM did and I've just been "okay" with it.

It's time to get it fixed right though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It's my understanding that the Dorman TIPM replacements (which apparently only work with 2007 models) are designed in such a way that they don't need to be programmed at a Dodge dealership to work...they will program themselves. It's also my understanding that Dodge TIPMs have to be programmed before they'll work...the VIN and other info gets burned into them or something so that they "know" what accessories the car has.

Given the widespread issues with the TIPM modules, I did a little research into how the electrical system in a Caliber works. Our cars have a boatload of computers in them...pretty much everything is computer-controlled, and commands to make different things function (like lowering a window, turning on lights, etc.) are sent as data packets between the various computers via computer networking. The TIPM is one of those computers. As such, it would seem that if the TIPM's programming doesn't match the features of the car exactly, weird stuff can happen...it'll receive commands to perform a function on a device it doesn't know it has. That's why I think the TIPM has to be programmed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So swapping a TIPM from a good working 2007 Jeep Compass to a Caliber would not necesarily work based on the features and accesories of each car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most definitely not necessarily! You might get lucky and it might work, but there would probably be some feature of the car that didn't work

So swapping a TIPM from a good working 2007 Jeep Compass to a Caliber would not necesarily work based on the features and accesories of each car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Correct...the TIPM is not a generic device, it's programmed to work with a specific model car. There's some question as to whether a used TIPM can be made to work in a different car, but when they're brand new, there's a process it has to go through to pull information from other computers in the car so it can program itself. If the data in the TIPM later becomes corrupt for some reason, then it's a trip to the dealership to have the problems worked out...they have a special computer for dealing with these crazy computer systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Am having trouble with my 2007 Caliber and the tipm. The 2007 dodge Nitros and Journeys have been recalled because of the tipm. Make sure other than fixing it Chrysler is told and NHTSA and carcomplaints.com, we need them to recall the calibers!

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Am having trouble with my 2007 Caliber and the tipm. The 2007 dodge Nitros and Journeys have been recalled because of the tipm. Make sure other than fixing it Chrysler is told and NHTSA and carcomplaints.com, we need them to recall the calibers!
The 2014 recall for the larger SUVs --

Report Date : August 15, 2015 at 09:56 PM
NHTSA Action Number : DP14004

NHTSA Action Number : DP14004 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHRYSLER / TOWN AND COUNTRY 2008-2014
DODGE / CARAVAN 2008-2012
DODGE / DURANGO 2011-2013
DODGE / GRAND CARAVAN 2008-2014
DODGE / JOURNEY 2008-2010
DODGE / JOURNEY AWD 2009-2010
DODGE / NITRO 2007-2012
DODGE / NITRO 4X2 2007 2009
DODGE / NITRO 4X4 2007 2009
DODGE / RAM 1500 2009-2012
DODGE / RAM 2500 2010-2012
DODGE / RAM 3500 2010-2012
DODGE / RAM 4500 2011-2012
DODGE / RAM 5500 2011-2012
JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE 2011-2013
JEEP / LIBERTY 2007-2012
JEEP / WRANGLER 2007-2014
JEEP / WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 RHD 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 4-DR 4X2 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 RHD 2009
JEEP / WRANGLER SAHARA 2007
JEEP / WRANGLER X RHD 4X4 2007

Manufacturer(s) : Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Component(s) : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Date Investigation Opened : September 25, 2014
Date Investigation Closed : Open

Summary:
In a letter dated August 21, 2014, the Center for Auto Safety (CAS) petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to initiate a defect investigation into failures associated with the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) installed in Chrysler SUVs, trucks, and vans beginning in the 2007 model year.

The CAS alleges that TIPM failures have resulted in incidents of engine stall; airbag non-deployment; random horn, headlight, taillight, door lock, instrument panel and windshield wiper activity; failure of fuel pump shutoff resulting in unintended acceleration; and fires. The petition includes a list of 70 complaints received by CAS that are allegedly related to Chrysler TIPM failures.

The petition references a class action lawsuit regarding TIPM7 module failure and 63 of the CAS complaints relate to vehicles equipped with TIPM7 body control modules (1 complaint involves a vehicle equipped with a TIPM6 module and 6 complaints involve vehicles that were not equipped with TIPM modules).

This defect petition review will focus on vehicles equipped with TIPM7 modules. Preliminary analysis of the 63 CAS complaints related to TIPM7 equipped vehicles identified 51 reports alleging incidents of engine stall (17) or no-start (34). Three complaints reported incidents of smoke (2) or fire (1). None of the reports provided alleged TIPM failures resulting in airbag non-deployment or unintended acceleration and none of the complaints alleged a crash.

In a supplement to the petition, CAS identified 24 crashes from NHTSA's Early Warning Reporting (EWR) database that it believes may be related to TIPM failure and requested that NHTSA review these as part of its petition evaluation.

In a September 3, 2014 letter, Chrysler Group LLC notified NHTSA of a safety defect in the Totally Integrated Power Module-7 (TIPM 7) in approximately 188,723 MY 2011 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines (Recall 14V-530). According to Chrysler, some Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles may experience a failure in the fuel pump relay within the TIPM which can result in a no-start or stall condition. Thirty-six (36) of the complaints submitted with the petition involve MY 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines. The petition will be evaluated for a grant or deny decision. A copy of the petition will be placed in the public file (NHTSA Ref. No. 10637920).

Q: Why isn’t the Caliber included?

A: Girard Gibbs and co-counsel filed a class action lawsuit against Chrysler focusing on an alleged defect in the seventh generation TIPM (called the TIPM 7). Not all Chrysler vehicles have the same totally integrated power module (TIPM) installed in them.

The lawsuit alleges that the defective TIPM can cause problems starting the vehicle and stalling. In addition, the lawsuit alleges that the TIPM can prevent the fuel pump from shutting off properly, cause headlights and taillights to shut off, and can cause random and uncontrollable activity of the horn, windshield wipers, alarm system, door locks, and airbags.

This forumz has already detected that those symptoms are sent by the TIPM due to defects in wiring, connections, clock spring, relays. Replacing the TIPM is not the cure-all alleged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Am getting my tipm replaced with an oem from a Dodge dealer and am hoping all the $ fixes it. Will also reach out to Girard Gibbs to be included in the suit. I hope all us Caliber owners are at least reimbursed for the part and labor!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I seem to recall that within the last month or so, the NHTSA closed an investigation into faulty TIPM modules on Chrysler vehicles. No recall or further action will be taking place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I am reading all the information correctly that is not true, I urge all caliber owners to report this to NHTSA and CAS. Much too serious of an issue for Chrysler/Dodge to ignore.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
I seem to recall that within the last month or so, the NHTSA closed an investigation into faulty TIPM modules on Chrysler vehicles. No recall or further action will be taking place.
INVESTIGATION Subject : Totally Integrated Power Module Failure NHTSA Action Number: DP14004

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 25, 2014 Date Investigation Closed: JUL 24, 2015

According to NHTSA, "no valid evidence was presented in support of claims related to airbag non-deployment, unintended acceleration, or fire resulting from TIPM faults and these claims were found to be wholly without merit based on review of the field data and design of the relevant systems and components." The agency did find signs of an issue with the fuel pump relay in some Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos, but FCA US issued recalls for the problem in September 2014 and February 2015.

More than 500,000 vehicles have now been recalled to fix the fuel system component in an under-the-hood electronic brain known as a TIPM. Federal regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have decided that those recalls are action enough. The agency has dropped any further investigation into complaints of TIPM malfunctions in nearly two dozen other models.

A separate class-action settlement expected to be finalized next month will reimburse drivers who got repairs before the recall. It also covers only three model years of Grand Cherokees and Durangos.

Drivers of other cars are involved in a second lawsuit filed in New York.

"Consumers are still having TIPM modules fail in these vehicles.They're paying $1,100 to $1,200 to get them repaired," Center for Auto Safety executive director Clarence Ditlow said.

The agency closed the case just days before it announced a record $105 million enforcement action against Fiat Chrysler for failing to complete 23 recalls covering more than 11 million vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replaced the tipm with one from a dodge dealer, car started but gauges don't work, all warning lites lit up and the car doesn't go faster than 10 mph. Tried to reset tipm and still same issues. Dodge says $150 to flash it, ( plus whatever else they find of course) , money I don't have. Any ideas peeps?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Dodge dealership is right...you need to have the TIPM flashed so it works properly with your car. They aren't a generic part that "just works" and can be swapped in and out, they're part of a complex computer system and thus have to be programmed to work correctly with the rest of the components of the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry it's been a while since I've checked up on this thread.

I had to take my other Dodge vehicle to a dealer to get recall work done on it. While at the dealer they crashed into my car with a pickup truck and it had to go to the shop for repairs. Oh was I ticked!! They had my other Dodge for about 3 weeks to work on 4 recalls + body work and paint to repair the damage. Anyway the manager at the dealership had a conversation with me about my TIPM on my caliber. He said they would work out a deal with me and flash it / troubleshoot for $45.00. So they flashed it and updated all other modules on the car. The TIPM on my caliber functions and the car is like new again after the flash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
help pls
I did the conversion of my headlight to hid.
my low beam working perfectly with fuse and relay but i face a big problem with the high beam because of my DRL the use the same wire of my high beam, and they are controlled by the TIPM so when i installed the relay, its keeping switching on off when the DRL turn on automatically the only way to solve this issue is to turn the low beam on.
anyone solved this issue or know how to cancel DRL
Thanks for your support

·
Registered
682 Posts
DRLs are required in Canada, aren't they? As such, it would be illegal to disable it.

But if you wanted to, a dealer or a mechanic with the correct equipment could reprogram the TIPM to turn off DRLs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts