Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Dodge Caliber sxt. So here's the problem, while accelerating I get a very high pitched whine like a dremel or something, but only from 2000ish to 3000ish rpms then it stops. Sometimes when I first start the car it won't do it but it's been pretty steady. I do get a slight whine when not in gear but only when I feather the gas around 2500-3000 rpm! Any idea what this problem might be?? Just got it back today and got my other issue fixed witched turned out to be a can shaft sensor. They replaced the idler pulley and belt. Noise is still there. They said to take the car and I still can't figure it out. Idk if it's the trans or maybe the alternator.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Alternator is easy enough to diagnose...have somebody rev up the car with it in park and get under the hood to listen for where the whine is coming from. Alternator is on the passenger side, kinda buried down a ways. The alternators on the Caliber use a decoupling pulley (which is a kind of spring loaded pulley) and they do tend to wear out.

If you don't hear the whine with it parked, then the transmission becomes a suspect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2007 Dodge Caliber sxt. So here's the problem, while accelerating I get a very high pitched whine like a dremel or something, but only from 2000ish to 3000ish rpms then it stops. Sometimes when I first start the car it won't do it but it's been pretty steady. I do get a slight whine when not in gear but only when I feather the gas around 2500-3000 rpm! Any idea what this problem might be?? Just got it back today and got my other issue fixed witched turned out to be a can shaft sensor. They replaced the idler pulley and belt. Noise is still there. They said to take the car and I still can't figure it out. Idk if it's the trans or maybe the alternator.
I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT that had the same issue, it turned out to be the alternator and the Idler Pulley, I had it replaced at the dealership as part of it was under my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Plus with the location of the Alternator being by the Air Conditioning Unit I left it to the Pro's to do that way if they broke it they could fix it not me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts