Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I finally decided to create a forum account and post asking for help, after searching for days online for suggested fixes. I have found a few posts on this forum about the issue, but none that relate to what I need.

As winter is coming back again, I found myself faced with the issue of my vent selector will not change from the vents facing the passenger cab to any other setting. It’s getting dangerous because I can’t use my defroster. I found a few posts on the forum talking about removing your glovebox and looking at the huge white plastic cog with a steel cable attached to it. I was able to locate it and find that the corrugated plastic shroud is not interfering with it at all. The cable is attached to the plastic cog, but when I change the selector, the cog moves freely; but the vents do not change to the new selection. I have tried using some pliers to grab onto the linkage cable on the white cog to try and force the vents to move, with no luck. At this point I am fine with manually forcing my vents to move to defrost and stay there permanently. My next thought was that I will have to remove my entire dash to manually move the vents to the defrost position.

i am stuck at this point with what or where to go next. If anyone can please shine some light and direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

PS: huge shoutout to the users for informing me about the cabin filter, I never even knew vehicles had them(silly me), and replaced it for about $13, now the antifreeze and oil smells are gone from much cabin air.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I took a quick look at the 2007 service manual and it looks like the 2007-early 2010 Calibers use a mechanical linkage to change where the air comes out. Mid-2010-2012 Calibers with the redesigned interior use fully electrical controls for all HVAC functions. You learn something new every day!

In any case the manual indicates that the big white cog that you described does indeed switch airflow between the front vents and defroster vents. However, there's a calibration routine you need to go through with the linkage cable to ensure airflow changes as expected.

If you've disconnected the linkage cable from that cog and manually rotating the cog doesn't change airflow, then the linkage between the cog and the flaps inside the dash is broken. If that's the case, you're tearing the dash apart to try and fix it.

If manually rotating the cog DOES change airflow, then it may simply be a matter of calibrating the linkage cable to get it working again. Disconnect the linkage cable from the cog, set the HVAC control to full defrost, rotate the cog clockwise until it stops (putting it in the full defrost position), then reattach the linkage cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, I just want to say you’re the MVP of my sunday. Turning the cog manually did in fact change my vents, I don’t have access to a manual and couldn’t find one online. I thought the steel cable/linkage is what connected to an actuator to move my vents. I haven’t tried to adjust the linkage yet, just thankful that my defroster is working again. Would you be able to let me know where you found the manual?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Look at the top left side of this page and see where it says new stuff? Right beside it, it says Forum. Click on the word forum and scroll down until you see the header titled Manuals. Click on it and you SHOULD be able to find the manual you can download. I hope this helps you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts