Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Caliber 2.0
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experiencing many problems with my 2007 Caliber SXT. The a/c went out a while ago. The tensioner pulley was just purchased but when putting the belt back on, it seems to be 1/4 to 1/2" too big to fit. My fiance knows what he's doing but it's just too tight to get on. s
We also have to replace the heater core. We just replaced the wiper motor because it stopped working but it still won't work.
We also replaced 2 relays under the driver headlight. The dash lights began going out so now they're staying on.
Now the fan motors won't come on. There has been a dinging (like when the car is overheating) going on while driving the car each time, more common during stops.
The brain of the car just seems to be going haywire. We don't know what to do as far as electronics.
The cd player won't read.
The hatch handle assembly fell off too.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
The tensioner pulley was just purchased but when putting the belt back on, it seems to be 1/4 to 1/2" too big to fit.
I've removed and replaced the tensioner 4 times over the past 6 months, and I've removed and replaced the belt probably 10 times.....it is fairly tight.

Here is a good video that shows the process:

For me, I can get the belt to where he has it in the video above at time 1:09 in the video, and then I can't get it any further onto the pulley because the belt seems to be too short. At that point, while keeping the wrench pulled on the tensioner (as shown in the video), I put another wrench on the crank pulley (the big bolt/pulley on the bottom left of the video) and I just rotate the engine a turn and the belt then slips on by itself.

The video shows them slipping the belt onto the waterpump pulley at the last stage, and that is hard to do with the engine in the car. I usually slip it onto the crank pulley at that point because it is easier to reach.

Easy

The brain of the car just seems to be going haywire.
Yes. These cars are not built to last.

Don't put a lot of money into it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just in case...

When I replaced mine, I was working the tensioner from on top of the engine.
('08, R/T, AWD, w\AC)

From what I remember, the easiest pulley to slip over last was #9 in the image above (the tensioner pulley is #8).

·
Registered
277 Posts
As for the other stuff;

CD player: try using a CD player cleaner CD - old school stuff, it's a CD with two brushes, one brush gets the cleaning fluid. Insert, try to play. Do it a few times. If the player slides the CD out, just pull it completely out, then put it in again. After a few times, let it air dry for a while and that should fix that.

The rear wiper motor: is connected to the cigarette lighter fuse, in the engine bay. The problem (front or back wipers) may also be in the switch lever (stalk) on the steering column - I had to replace mine because the wipers would randomly go on by themselves. Junkyard find, I think $7.

Fan motors (on the radiator?): if both motors won’t turn on, it may be a grounding issue. Check for continuity on the fan motors, voltage to the fans, and make a jumper power & ground to see if the fans can be manually turned on.

Hatch handle assembly: lol, well... Another junkyard find, but no guarantee the next one will stay on. It’s a bad design. I ended up using black caulking from Home Depot as a sort of glue to hold everything together.

I had to use clamps to squeeze it all close until the caulking cured (a few days for me due to cold weather). Others have suggested binding it with construction adhesive - which I think would be the better option.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Caliber 2.0
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of your information you guys have given me should help. Thank you so much. As far as the hatch, I saw a man on youtube fix his by using carriage bolts but it did go through the body of the gate right out on top.

We hopefully will be able to work on it this weekend. He's working on replacing the heater core. We did have a broken motor mount too. There's an ac leak behind the dash somewhere and I've had dye injected several times with no visible result. So, off to buy a black light while it's apart.

The wiper motor we replaced was the front one. But the wipers still don't run. I'll have to print this all for him to have a look at. He doesn't do email or computers but he's a genius when it comes to cars. shrug...
Is the tensioner you bought the same physical size as the one you took out?
yes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts