Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 caliber and when I'm driving for about 30 minutes on the highway my transmission temp light comes on and the car goes into limp mode, it has no performance and can't go over 30 mph without it making a winding noise. Does anyone know what would cause this??

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Overheating CVT. Best option is to drain the CVT oil, replace both filters and new CVT oil. Check the oil cooler is clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever resolve issue with your 2007 Caliber? I have 2007 SXT with similar issue and already replaced both filters and changed fluid, but despite clearing almost all codes and getting trans temp light to not come on, it is still in limp mode; or at least what I think is limp mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you ever resolve issue with your 2007 Caliber? I have 2007 SXT with similar issue and already replaced both filters and changed fluid, but despite clearing almost all codes and getting trans temp light to not come on, it is still in limp mode; or at least what I think is limp mode.
So what I did was replaced my spark plugs and wires, that did the trick for mine. I also replaced fuel filter. Since then I haven't had my temp light come on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I am surprised by that remedy. Thanks for responding so quickly. I am on route of electrical issue and have been through many posts here and videos on YT. As I have been trying to figure out problem, I discovered that my car (which I bought from dealer in Dec., 2006 with about 9000 miles, currently 138K) I found numerous wiring repairs (which must have been in place since I purchased it) from PCM and in various harnesses, including transmission wiring). Replaced speed sensors on transmission, as original code showed output speed sensor code, and thought I had resolved it as check engine and trans temp issue disappeared, but it was still in limp mode.

But now I have no crank situation and no communication as my OBDII has no power. I have been diligently exploring wiring - opening harnesses and finding the prior repairs - so am pretty sure i have created the no crank issue unintentionally. When I saw your post I was hoping that I might find some direction, but don't think it is spark plug related. Interestingly, I have never had even a hint of any issues with transmission except for just getting used to how CVT shifts so it is definitely frustrating.

Thanks again for response.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The fact that you don't have functional OBDII strongly suggests that the main relay might be faulty...it resides in a small relay box behind the front driver passenger headlight. You get to it through the front driver's side wheel well...remove the tire and liner and you'll see the box mounted to a bracket. The wiring/pins of relays in that box are known to rot out. You can't replace the box per se but if you have a rotten relay/socket you can buy a replacement relay and socket with pigtails and just make it external to the box (which is how fixed mine).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts