Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Caliber and the headlight recently blew. I replaced the bulb but the light only works on high beam. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be and what I can do to fix it?

I would appreciat any help you can give.

Thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I mean no offense but did you get the right bulb i'm sure you did i have bought the wrong one for my truck and it did that. also could just be a bad bulb it happens not often but it happens.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
This is a known issue when a bulb blows. The burned out bulb caused the TIPM to turn the circuit off. You need to reset the TIPM by one of 3 methods:

• disconnect the negative cable from the battery over night
  • disconnect both cables from the battery and hold them together for 10 minutes
  • have the dealer reset it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will definitely check and make sure I got the correct bulb and perform the reset. I'll be sure to let you know how I made out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a known issue when a bulb blows. The burned out bulb caused the TIPM to turn the circuit off. You need to reset the TIPM by one of 3 methods:

Hay Prop1 I would like to know what information source you used that said "disconnect both cables from the battery and hold them together for 10 minutes" I can not find any info about this method.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hay Prop1 I would like to know what information source you used that said "disconnect both cables from the battery and hold them together for 10 minutes" I can not find any info about this method.
It's been circulated around this site and the internet. It's also something that has been used to discharge electronics before working on them for a hundred years.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
you also have to be careful with those electrons when you put in your computer componets like sound blaster cards..and video cards in their slots.. when you upgrade your computers .. ( thats what the instructions say )..

·
Super Moderator
12,074 Posts
I have a 2007 Caliber and the headlight recently blew. I replaced the bulb but the light only works on high beam. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be and what I can do to fix it?
The owners manual states that headlight replacement is a refer to dealer service item.
The service manual recommends disconnecting the car battery before replacing the headlight ( or working on any other electrical item on the car ).

That way your Cali is protected and reset at the same time.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Wonder how he made out?

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, sorry it took so long to post the results. Anyway I disconnected the battery cables and taped them together for about 1/2 hour. Still had the problem. So I took it to the dealer and they reset the computer, lights are now working.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and gave me suggestions. Everyone on here has been great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hello forreal1171

I want to hear whether you have solved your problem with the headlights.
I have exactly the same problem.
Also bought 2 new small T10 W5W 12V 5W OSRAM + two new H4 12V-60/55W ULTRA LIFE OSRAM.

Has changed them and left Head light not working ?????
What the hell is wrong

Sune from Denmark

·
Super Moderator
12,074 Posts
Sune - after replacing your bulbs you need to reset the TIPM (car's computer)

This shuts off power to a circuit when it detects a problem, it will not know you have replaced the faulty bulbs.

To reset disconnect both battery leads and hold them together for 10 minutes to drain any residual charge in the circuits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Aleks

I've tried to disconnect both cables from the battery and keep them together for 15 minutes, it did not help.

I can see that "forreal1171" also has tried it, but it did not help either. "forreal1171" drove to a dealer for the reset TIPM

Can not understand that I can not reset TIPM, either with handheld OBD II tool or software. For I have the cable that fits, but I can not find any software that supports the Dodge Caliber.

Do you know some software / hardware on the market that it supports OBD II Dodge Caliber??

Sincerely,
Sune from Denmark

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Have you tried the first 2 options? if neither of the first 2 steps resets your TIPM, then you may have to take it in to the dealer. as far as OBD II goes, basically any scanner will work just fine(depending on your needs). not too sure about denmark, but some good brands here in the US are Actron, AutoTap, Innova, Equus. scangauge II is also a very useful tool to use

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Nick

Yes, I have.

The funny thing is, when I start the car the driver light turned on both lamps. When I turn the light switch inside the car to get lights on the dashboard then the left lamp turn off again??

·
Super Moderator
12,074 Posts
Sounds like you have a different fault - most commonly when the light switch works incorrectly it is the clock spring inside the column that connects the wiring.

The dealer will replace this under warranty.

One check is to take your 'failed bulb' and test it, if all filaments work than you know it's not the TIPM.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts