Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 125,000 miles
My dash battery light is still on after 2 alternator was tested good a new Computer and battery
I'm can't sleep trying to figure this out where ever I go in this car I have to take 2 full charge
batteries to get me there and back home then recharge them up for the next day,Can someone
help me out here to see what else I can do I do my own car repair I do know my way around cars
this Caliber is just new to me to understand that 2 alternators are good a new Computer that was
already flash and new battery what else can I do winter is coming and I can't drive to long like this.

·
Registered
561 Posts
So if you go out for a drive you have to replace the battery TWICE during the trip to get there? Either the wiring between your alternator and your battery is bad or your putting in faulty alternators.

With the car running check the voltage at the alternator's output post and at the battery itself. If there's a discrepancy the wiring between the two is suspect.

Where did you buy the replacement alternators? The aftermarket rebuilt alternators available from the national car parts chains are notoriously crappy...buy a good Denso alternator from Rockauto instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if you go out for a drive you have to replace the battery TWICE during the trip to get there? Either the wiring between your alternator and your battery is bad or your putting in faulty alternators.

With the car running check the voltage at the alternator's output post and at the battery itself. If there's a discrepancy the wiring between the two is suspect.

Where did you buy the replacement alternators? The aftermarket rebuilt alternators available from the national car parts chains are notoriously crappy...buy a good Denso alternator from Rockauto instead.
Thanks for your reply
I drive the car to work 4 days a week I charge up 2 batteries at night each morning I put one in mostly the one that won't die on me fast because i leave the house at 5:00 am and it is still dark so i have to turn on my lights,It get's me to work which is only 7 miles from my house I do make one stop at Speedway and then on to work sometimes I can get back home off the same battery because I get on the freeway and it don't take long.As far as I know the alternators have been tested at 2 Auto Zones,The one I took out and had tested at 2 Auto Zones both places tested Good against a brand new one but my battery light is on so since I trust after 2 Auto Zone test this one is good so I'm going to put that one back In the car and try your method th e only thing about this car is the alternator is on the bottom with the air compressor In the way so I would have to drop the compressor first to get to it by the way it's a Mitsubishi alternator if that's any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply
I drive the car to work 4 days a week I charge up 2 batteries at night each morning I put one in mostly the one that won't die on me fast because i leave the house at 5:00 am and it is still dark so i have to turn on my lights,It get's me to work which is only 7 miles from my house I do make one stop at Speedway and then on to work sometimes I can get back home off the same battery because I get on the freeway and it don't take long.As far as I know the alternators have been tested at 2 Auto Zones,The one I took out and had tested at 2 Auto Zones both places tested Good against a brand new one but my battery light is on so since I trust after 2 Auto Zone test this one is good so I'm going to put that one back In the car and try your method th e only thing about this car is the alternator is on the bottom with the air compressor In the way so I would have to drop the compressor first to get to it by the way it's a Mitsubishi alternator if that's any help.
By the way how would I do the test if I have to remove the belt and drop the compressor to get to the alternator because the won't allow me to run the car without everything in it's place?.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The battery output post is on the back side of the alternator, positive on your meter on that and ground the other side. Should be seeing 14 volts.

I just changed my alternator at 318K km for the first time, battery light came up heard the alt squealing like a pig.

Used a BBB/Vision alternator from Rockauto.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
I had to replace the cable between the alternator and the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery output post is on the back side of the alternator, positive on your meter on that and ground the other side. Should be seeing 14 volts.

I just changed my alternator at 318K km for the first time, battery light came up heard the alt squealing like a pig.

Used a BBB/Vision alternator from Rockauto.
Thanks for the advice will be doing this the weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I'm not mistaken Dodge uses the pcm to regulate the alternators output. You could also have a bad pcm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts