Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for you help in trying to figure this out. My daughter got the used 2007 Caliber in late fall, 2018. In the spring on 2019 I bought the AC recharge kit and added refrigerant following the directions, using the gauge. All last summer and early fall the car cooled great. After a really warm day in last November, my daughter said the AC is not getting cool. This spring, she has nothing but regular air blowing no matter what I do. Here is a summary of all I have gone over; I am pretty much stuck at square 1.

1: The fan operates properly at all speeds.

2: The air vent selector cable works; air comes out properly at all dash & floor openings.

3: The temperature control knob (a manual blend system - not digital) works properly, the air heats up and cools down; except no AC.

4: The serpentine belt is turning correctly. From under the car, the compressor is clearly turning.

5: The AC compressor is not cycling, there is no cooling. (From what I understand there is no mechanical clutch, like in my Buick; somehow it has pistons that compress without a clutch. That is where I am lost.)

6: Pressure on AC gauge hose to supply valve shows high pressure; normally would drop if the compressor were cycling.

I am still trying to find out where I go from here. I need guidance to make any more progress. If anyone knows what I should do next, any other tutorial; I am grateful for any assistance.

Thanks for all replies.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
YouTube for diagnostics help. I took mine in for a recharge of refrigerant and they said it was not holding pressure advised new compressor needed. (about $50)
Ordered new one on Amazon $235 brand UAC model CO 11023C , fitting about $150.
Been working for a couple of years now, nothing remarkable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’ve had my car since new... I had charged it the year before last, last summer when I went to use it, it wasn’t getting cold & compressed not kicking on, I added a/c coolant and it worked, have you tried recharging? My problem was days later it wouldn’t work again it was warm... So i found out I was loosing a/c coolant so I went to Walmart and bought a/c pro super seal a/c stop leak with dispenser, I added the full can & then a/c pro refrigerant and it works like a charm now!!! No problems! If the compressor doesn’t kick on you probably need a new one... maybe go to a junk yard & get one if you want to do it the cheap way...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts