Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Caliber 1.8L SXT is making a growling noise, coming primarily from the belt. I was told it was an idler pulley first, but now told it is more likely the alternator decoupler pulley. Is this possible to replace on my own? If so, what tools would I need? I’m handy with cars but not proficient, can usually figure it out with direction. All the shops in my city are 2-4 weeks out before taking new cars and I need to get to work. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Please help with any info you have. I am ready to tear it down and replace this, I have no other choice.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Replacing just the decoupling pulley CAN be done but it's not advisable. Given how much of a challenge it is to get the alternator off the car you're better off just replacing the whole thing. Be absolutely sure you either get a Denso or an OEM (Mopar/Mitsubishi) replacement though...do NOT just buy a reman at the local auto parts store. Remanufactured alternators are notoriously crappy and you don't want to do this job 3-4 times before you find one that actually works out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
I replaced my regulator and a year later had to replace the alternator anyway. You are definitely better off replacing the whole thing especially for a daily driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buenas,
Antes de sustituir un alternador o el regulador hay que comprobar, tensiones en estatico y dinamico ya que una tension superior a 14,5V puede ser muy peligroso para la electronica del coche.
tambien embrague de polea alternador ya que si esta gripada dara problemas de tension.

saludos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts