Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 SXT has non functioning door locks. The key fob will activate the dash lights and exterior lights, as if it is locking or unlocking the car* but when you use the fob there is no door lock or unlock.* The panic button works as well

The interior door locks do*not operate the locks either. The only way to operate the locks is with the key, manually, via the drivers door exterior lock. Without the fob functioning I cant open the hatch door.

When I depress the fob or the interior locks I do get what sounds like a relay firing under the steering wheel behind dash panel.

The only other way to make the locks function is by removing the door locks fuse and reinstalling. When this is done it will lock all car doors. The same is achieved by removing the negative battery cable.

I know there is power to the locks and actuators and that the regulators are all working and that switches and fobs are sending signal to the car. All fuses and relays are working
Additionally, there is power going to the lock system all the time creating a parasitic drain. I believe this may be the root of the issue

My questions are, would a failing door lock module cause this or is there a body control module that might do the same. Are there any inline fuses or wires to check. I have removed the drivers kick panel and checked all connections there. Any advisement would be appreciated.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds like whatever module controls the door locking system is faulty. Pulling the fuse on it is resetting the module (which probably explains why the doors all lock when you do that). I don't have the wiring diagrams handy right now so I'm not sure if it's an explicit module or if it's built-into another module though.

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
I have had these symptoms with low power. You may be getting too detailed too early though it sounds like you know what to look for.
Just a gentle hint not to overlook a new/recharged battery and the spare fob with fresh battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like whatever module controls the door locking system is faulty. Pulling the fuse on it is resetting the module (which probably explains why the doors all lock when you do that). I don't have the wiring diagrams handy right now so I'm not sure if it's an
explicit module or if it's built-into another module though.
Ive spoken with 2 Dodge dealers and neither one of them has been able to locate any type of lock module. I surmised it may be in one of several modules including a BCM. I'm at wits end as this is a car that belongs to my daughter who is with grandchild. Its not that I'm cheap so I should tell you that I've dismantled the entire interior before taking it into the dealer for diagnostics. I waited around and left after they charged me for 2 hours of time plus they wanted another 2 hours to tell me very simply what was wrong with it. After the two hours his explanation was that everything was getting constant power. Essentially, they were asking for 600.00 just for diagnostics that did not include repair or parts. This means im no closer than I was after spending 300.00 ;(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had these symptoms with low power. You may be getting too detailed too early though it sounds like you know what to look for.
Just a gentle hint not to overlook a new/recharged battery and the spare fob with fresh battery.
Thank you for your response. I've replaced the entire alternator and battery and have monitored the voltage throughout the process. I've also replaced the battery in, and reprogrammed one of the fobs while the other is in its original state. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
The dealer would have full diagnostic so there is no 'fault' from a unit. I suspect this is the Caliber weak wiring condition. The places to investigate are under the battery, through the fenders, behind the dash and inside the door panels.
All takes time and patience. Old Calibers market value is less than their repairs so dealers will rarely see them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer would have full diagnostic so there is no 'fault' from a unit. I suspect this is the Caliber weak wiring condition. The places to investigate are under the battery, through the fenders, behind the dash and inside the door panels.
All takes time and patience. Old Calibers market value is less than their repairs so dealers will rarely see them.
I actually find that the lower mileage Calibers sell for book or more. You can't say that about most cars.
Anyway, the dealer suggested they needed to get to a module to manually check it and it would require another two hours of diagnostic time. I personally found their time needed to be suspect, especially since I had already removed the dash, kick panels and all interior shrouds.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just took a quick look at the 2007 Caliber service manual...the locking system is connected to the instrument cluster (which is a controller in the CANBUS network) so you should check the connections to that. Three different grounds are used in the system so the odds of it being a grounding problem at the doors themselves is exceptionally slim. Given that ALL of the doors are malfunctioning the odds are that the cluster is faulty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just took a quick look at the 2007 Caliber service manual...the locking system is connected to the instrument cluster (which is a controller in the CANBUS network) so you should check the connections to that. Three different grounds are used in the system so the odds of it being a grounding problem at the doors
themselves is exceptionally slim. Given that ALL of the doors are malfunctioning the odds are that the cluster is faulty.
Which other system components would it be neccessary to change when replacing the cluster as a whole. I'm assuming there must be other components that are integrated into the specific cluster.
I have the original out and will attempt to open it up but I find it hard to believe that there would be many exchangeable parts, if any.
Thanks

·
Registered
718 Posts
Don't take this as gospel truth but I don't *think* you need to replace anything else. If the controller portion of the cluster is faulty then replacing it should solve your issue. I don't know if the cluster needs to be programmed to the car but some Googling should answer that question for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just took a quick look at the 2007 Caliber service manual...the locking system is connected to the instrument cluster (which is a controller in the CANBUS network) so you should check the connections to that. Three different grounds are used in the system so the odds of it being a grounding problem at the doors
themselves is exceptionally slim. Given that ALL of the doors are malfunctioning the odds are that the cluster is faulty.
Which other system components would it be neccessary to change when replacing the cluster as a whole. I'm assuming there must be other components that are integrated into the specific cluster.
I have the original out and will attempt to open it up but I find it hard to believe that there would be many exchangeable parts, if any.
Thanks
Don't take this as gospel truth but I don't *think* you need to replace anything else. If the controller portion of the cluster is faulty then replacing it should solve your issue. I don't know if the cluster needs to be programmed to the car but some Googling should answer that question for you.
Replacing the cluster took care of it. I did send in my own but the motherboard was beyond repair. They provided me with a new motherboard and was able to clone it to my original. It was 250.00 but well worth it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing the cluster took care of it. I did send in my own but the motherboard was beyond repair. They provided me with a new motherboard and was able to clone it to my original. It was 250.00 but well worth it
Hi there I’m have a similar issue, sometimes some of the locks undo other times none of them, the cluster you refer to, is that the instrument cluster/ Speedo etc?
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the exact same issue with my 07 caliber. Where did you find your cluster or motherboard? Is it something we can fix at home or should we take in? Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts