Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CF,

I'm a new owner of an '08 Dodge Caliber SE with 2.0l I4 and a CVT. I'm an avid DIY'er and have done some well-deserved maintenance including spark plugs (NGK iridium), oil (Castrol full synthetic), air filter (K&N High Performance drop-in), and brakes (including a bleed). I'll likely be installing an exhaust system prior to May, as I'd like the extra power on my 1200 mile drive, and while I'm at it, why not some lowering springs? Recommendations for exhaust (I'd like it to not sound like a pissed off bumble bee) and lowering springs (I think 1-2.5 inches will be sufficient) are welcome. I will also be getting some rims once I've put a few more miles on the tires, as they were practically brand new at the time of purchase. Don't worry, a brake upgrade will be installed with the rims, I'm not a newbie to cars, or physics.

I would like to know a couple of things about the transmission as this is the first CVT I've ever owned. The car can go fast enough, but the acceleration is a bit lacking, even with the (albeit slight) performance gained from the spark plug and air filter upgrades. Is there a programmer for this vehicle that will adjust gear ratios to favor performance over fuel efficiency when I need it? Or even one that has different settings, I'll keep a little screen on my dash if it helps me get up to merging speeds a bit quicker. Or is it something to do with my driving style? I usually slap it into "Low" when I need to accelerate, but for on-the-fly acceleration I find that to be a bit inconvenient.

Thanks in advance for all the help, I hope to be a contributing member in about a year or so once I've learned the ropes on this particular vehicle.

Resume:
'78 Ford F-250 351 Modified v8
'88 Chevrolet Cavalier Z-24 2.8l v6
'89 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2.8l v6
'91 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 350 v8\
'85 Chevrolet Corvette 383 v8 (high rise Holley intake, 650 Holley carb, Hooker headers, Flowmaster exhaust, Detroit locking diff, Richmond 6-speed transmission)

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Nothing you can do about the CVT. You either have to learn to live with it or get rid of the car and find something else. I'd recommend a hemi powered Charger or Challenger. Maybe even a 300.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I read a few posts regarding the computer limiting how much power goes to the transmission. I did get a decent bit of added power from the K&N drop in filter, though I think my aspirations for a decent cat-back system are a bit wasteful. I'll probably get a decent muffler-back system and call it a day for "performance". Frees up more money for cosmetic changes too.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
You've made the wise decision. The only way to get performance out of a Caliber is to have one with the turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts