Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

Recently, I had major problems with my rear suspension on my Caliber (SXT model, 114000kms). It's the bushings on the 2 trailing arms, and the lateral links. Is there anywhere we can just find the bushings, rather than buy the whole pieces, which would cost an arm and a leg to fix? It ruined my 2 rear tires (inside worn out to the wire), and I changed the 2 front lower control arms in the spring, and it must'Ve came out of alignment, since the 2 front tires are worn right out the same way. Anyone else had this problem before? I know of another person from my hometown who had the same problem, and they had less mileage than my car. Pretty dissapointed...hoping to find some help!

Thanks!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Good evening all,

Recently, I had major problems with my rear suspension on my Caliber (SXT model, 114000kms). It's the bushings on the 2 trailing arms, and the lateral links. Is there anywhere we can just find the bushings, rather than buy the whole pieces, which would cost an arm and a leg to fix? It ruined my 2 rear tires (inside worn out to the wire), and I changed the 2 front lower control arms in the spring, and it must'Ve came out of alignment, since the 2 front tires are worn right out the same way. Anyone else had this problem before? I know of another person from my hometown who had the same problem, and they had less mileage than my car. Pretty dissapointed...hoping to find some help!

Thanks!
There are a number of people that have had the issue, and there is a TSB for the '08s and '09s, but Dodge is still to recognize the problem in '07s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention, I had the Lateral Links changed at 58000kms. Didn't notice any unusual tire wear at the time. This time, they're down to the wire! There's big time Negative Camber!

When we changed the 2 front lower control arms, I asked the mechanic, and he told me I didn't need a wheel alignment. Would this be the factor for the tires ruined like that on the front? They are brand new tires, and were installed after the control arms were changed.

The Trailing arm (from Chrysler) is 380$ a piece, and I need 2 of them, and the Lateral arms are 110$ a piece. Its just the bushings that are worn out.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Forgot to mention, I had the Lateral Links changed at 58000kms. Didn't notice any unusual tire wear at the time. This time, they're down to the wire! There's big time Negative Camber!

When we changed the 2 front lower control arms, I asked the mechanic, and he told me I didn't need a wheel alignment. Would this be the factor for the tires ruined like that on the front? They are brand new tires, and were installed after the control arms were changed.

The Trailing arm (from Chrysler) is 380$ a piece, and I need 2 of them, and the Lateral arms are 110$ a piece. Its just the bushings that are worn out.
Anytime you have suspension work done, a 4 wheel alignment should be performed. I'd start questioning the wisdom of your mechanic. The TSBs are listed in the Dodge Caliber Recalls and TSBs section. I'm sure you can find it on the main page.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked all the TSBs on the forum, and couldn't find one pertaining to the rear suspension area for bushings...

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
A little common sense logic here:

Parts that connect and position the tires to the car were replaced, right?
Why would the mechanic not think to check the alignment, and adjust if necessary?

I would definitely look for another shop.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I checked all the TSBs on the forum, and couldn't find one pertaining to the rear suspension area for bushings...
There isn't one for the 2007s. There is one for the struts. Are you sure those aren't the issue? Are you still under warranty? And do you still trust your mechanic since he cost you a brand new set of tires?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No more warranty on the car, since it's at 114000kms. I'll do some research today, and see what I can come up with. Any stores out in the states where one can buy just bushings for the Trailing arm and lateral arms, rather than the whole pieces?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts