Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phew! Happy to have found this forum!- I'm hoping that some old hands here may have some simple answers for me or can direct me to previous threads that might be able to help.
I've just got a high mileage 07 R/T AWD as a winter driver she's a little tired but surprisingly good condition save a few - 'idiosyncrasies". Top of the list: the vehicle will not run when cold. Symptoms- Engine cold (ambient temp 15-20 degrees C). Start engine- cranks normally, fires easily, no warning lights, runs perfectly for first 3 mins starting at 1300rpm and spooling down evenly but perhaps a little quickly to 800. After the full 3 mins with perfect idle it then coughs a few times, dips to 700 and immediately runs into trouble with an extremely uneven idle that sounds like its running on 2-3 cylinders with a very rich exhaust. This persists for perhaps 20-30 seconds until the engine stops. Multiple restarts will eventually get through it, each time with the same symptoms- it will run perfectly above 1500 but take your foot off the gas and it immediately runs like a pig then stops- putting it in gear leads to immediate stall although if you can get away it drives perfectly as long as you don't let the revs drop below 1500 until warm. When the Temp needle finally makes its way above 1/4 temp it will immediately start and run perfectly with not a hint of a problem and no warning lights or codes.
It seems to me a cold start mechanism is not operating correctly. Action taken- its early days- Following advice elsewhere on the forum I have reset the TIPM for 20 mins on two separate occasions- no help. The clue here is that I also have multiple electronics issues around the car -passenger headlight, rear wash/wipe, driver brake light, drivers heated seat, cruise control and can be therefore pretty certain the TIPM is shot- will this be behind the cold idle issue as well?
Many thanks to anyone who chooses to respond to this- I have very much enjoyed learning about the car through the various threads and will no doubt be back many times before I am done- am looking forward to using and driving the car once it is well.. drivable and useable :) Cheers.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Could be plugs, injectors, throttle body, fuel pump, TIPM, or damaged wires in the main harness. Checking for codes would help. You can download a free copy of the service manual in our "Manuals" sub-forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Brad I will look into that now- one question - if it was the throttle body, plugs, or injectors would the issue not be a permanent feature rather than solely during cold start sequence? I know these cars have specific issues that are well know to these forums so I bow to experience but are there areas specific to the choke mechanism that I could hone in on? Many thanks.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Your issue is the first to hit this forum. So best guess is all I can offer. Read for codes first. If nothing pops up and it's been a while since the plugs were last changed; then that's the cheapest to start with, and never hurts. If you're not getting a good spark; then a cold rich running engine might explain what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
You might also want to replace the wires if the plugs don't work. Weak plug wires can cause all kinds of starting problems.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You might also want to replace the wires if the plugs don't work. Weak plug wires can cause all kinds of starting problems.
What plug wires Charlie?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
No, I'm not, there are wires that go from the coil packs to the spark plugs, aren't there?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I didn't accuse you of being a dottering old fart Charlie.
I just wondered "what wires". LOL

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
No, I'm not, there are wires that go from the coil packs to the spark plugs, aren't there?
No. The coils are direct connect to the plugs.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Damn, I guess I was thinking about my recent plug and wire replacement on that piece of crap Neon that I just got rid of. Sorry bout that fellas! But, in my own defense, I've had two brain surgeries and suffer from permanent CRS! If you want to see what happened to me, one day when you're not busy, look up an Arnold Chiari I malformation. It's a doozie!

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Sounds like the throttle body preheater...
I know Land Rover was big on TB preheaters, but I have seen no reference to it in the service manual on these cars. It does bring up another possibility, though. It could be a bad air intake temperature sensor.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Damn, I guess I was thinking about my recent plug and wire replacement on that piece of crap Neon that I just got rid of. Sorry bout that fellas! But, in my own defense, I've had two brain surgeries and suffer from permanent CRS! If you want to see what happened to me, one day when you're not busy, look up an Arnold Chiari I malformation. It's a doozie!
Charlie, We know. We've been here a long time and it never hurts to joke around from time to time. I've been caught a few times giving advice brought from one of my other cars that didn't apply to these Calibers. Maybe it's more age related! LOL ;)

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Nahhh, I'm sticking to the brain surgery story Brad. That's all I've got! LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts