Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my girlfriend bought a 2007 Caliber knowing it needed a control arm, and a thermostat housing. After getting it back from the shop, she informs me that the front wipers are acting funny. On every speed except high, the wipers stop at the top of the windshield, and create such a draw that the headlights dim. I bought a new wiper motor for it, but before I installed it, I started looking into the replacement procedure. Suddenly I am hearing about this "Totally Integrated Power Module". I saw a couple of posts on here from several years ago, but nothing conclusive. Is this a likely cause of this? I own nothing but 80s Chevy trucks, so this is completely new to me. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
So, my girlfriend bought a 2007 Caliber knowing it needed a control arm, and a thermostat housing. After getting it back from the shop, she informs me that the front wipers are acting funny. On every speed except high, the wipers stop at the top of the windshield, and create such a draw that the headlights dim. I bought a new wiper motor for it, but before I installed it, I started looking into the replacement procedure. Suddenly I am hearing about this "Totally Integrated Power Module". I saw a couple of posts on here from several years ago, but nothing conclusive. Is this a likely cause of this? I own nothing but 80s Chevy trucks, so this is completely new to me. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Check for codes. This isn't engine related so no CEL will be displayed on the dash. That should point you in a direction. Free download link in the "Manuals" sub-forum for the service manual.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I had it scanned before I bought it, only thing that showed was an airbag code.
Then here is a list of possibles:

Clockspring (the #1 possibility)
switch stack
TIPM
damaged wire in the main harness that runs thru the inner and outer driver front fender.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I was going to say it could be Clockspring related.

·
Registered
152 Posts
PG. 2141 of the manual....

Possible causes
1.FRONT WIPER MOTOR
2. (W7) FRONT WIPER PARK SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
3. TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE

Youve got the wiper motor it sounds like so replace that first, That could very well be the culprit. Also, Check all the grounds, Check the connections to the PCM for corrosion and check battery, make sure it's good still.

If there is no other load, then you turn on the wipers and the car starts to get up and get crazy, It just sounds to me like you have to dig into the wiper motor/system before you look at the TIPM, those are the fuses and wires and from my 08 Dodge Caliber SE, mine is still in good shape, I've had issues like this where something goes very wrong and I just stuck with my guns, its a good car, just needs a little more digging to diagnose, feel free to post as you proceed and there are lots of informative people here.

Just an FYI, You'll want to have your own code scanner if you own this car, it will save you time, $$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts