Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 07 Caliber RTstarted to start really slow the other day, the weather got colder so I thought it was batt, I jumped and and took to Auto Zone, load test proved fine, and Alt test putting out 14.4, when the car is warm it starts fine, but when left sitting it needs jump, then fires right up...any ideas?? STARTER? maybe?? Thanks all

Battery is only a year, I live in Texas so yea it is hot, but again this morning slow crank, then fired up, last night came home from work changed went back out about 1/2 hr, and had to jump, but once I jumped it started right up..This is soooo weird.
I will try replacing the battery tonight and let you all know.
Thanks for the suggestions! and Happy Holidays to all!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Pardon the sound imitation:

1. does it go like : "weeeuuu ,, weeeu ... weeeeuuuu" very slowly ( and at what temperature ? ) ... my guess is the reserve capacity of the original battery is weak. Need a new one.
2. Or it goes : "wii wii wii wii wii wii ..." rapidly and does not start: ?
3. Age of your spark-plugs ?

I'm not a mechanic but I've changed so many batteries on 5k and 10k generators as a radio operator that old thinking comes back !

edit: some members had the battery tested but they found out after the old battery was changed for a new one, the symptoms went away.
States that have high heat during the summer tend to change the battery more frequently than us in the North.

my 2¢ :)

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
My 07 Caliber RTstarted to start really slow the other day, the weather got colder so I thought it was batt, I jumped and and took to Auto Zone, load test proved fine, and Alt test putting out 14.4, when the car is warm it starts fine, but when left sitting it needs jump, then fires right up...any ideas?? STARTER? maybe?? Thanks all
I've seen this many times - almost certainly a "sick and dying" battery.
Best to get a new one - forget those stupid tests. The real test is - will it crank the car?
Most definitely not your starter.

One other question - whar weight oil are you running?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
A lot of the 07's were know to have come equipped with crappy batteries. I'd suggest getting a new one of your choice and keep on driving.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
Has been said over again in this thread & many others. YOU NEED A NEW BATTERY.

A year is poor for a good one. Depends upon the quality of what you bought and how it was used. I recommend getting the best warranty for a reasonable price.

The problem is if you have a two year exchange guarantee and they refuse to replace because of a 'load test'

My advice choose a good retail outlet. Worst case should be that they inspect your car which does not start with the existing battery and ask them to connect a new one to show it starts easily. They should at least discount a replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts