Advice needed please (Buyers Guide)?
+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice needed please (Buyers Guide)?

Hi, I live in Kent, I test drove a Caliber today, the car itself turned out to be a dog of a car, but that is not down to the manucturer, just how it had been looked after, but after driving it as an unexpected option, fell in love with the Caliber's.

I am viewing a CRD SXT 2.0 Manual Caliber Saturday afternoon, this will be my other halfs work car primarily and something to get me to and from hospital as my other car is not in remotely economical.

I have had a Grand Voyager 3.3 petrol and a 2.0 petrol PT Cruiser. Loved them both.

Please could you guys give me advice as to what to look out for please? All the common faults to check please?

The one I am viewing has done 127000 miles and is a 2007 07 reg I believe.

We are focusing our car hunt now on mainly Caliber's.

Thank you for reading my post, Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I will admit, I wasn't a fan of the Caliber before today, and the reviews online I think are totally unjustified.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

I can't tell you what to look at as far as engine and transmission go because they never offered that combo here in the States. BUT, you really want to look at the suspension on these cars. That is the weak point, especially on the first year 07 models. Several members have had to rebuild their front ends due to the use of inferior parts. Any chance of getting service records with it? There are a few UK members here with the 2.0 CRD and I THINK some of the problems they've had have been leaking turbo hoses. I don't really know. Maybe one or more of them will chime in. What about it, Aleks?
    Last edited by Flyinghigh; 09-23-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Charlie Patterson

Thanks for the advice, I walked away from the one mentioned above as it was totally screwed. So much wrong and so much rust. However this afternoon, we met a lovely elderly man who had a SXT sport, 102000 miles, well looked after, for an amazing price. My other half drove it the 42 miles home. All the front suspension components (ball joints) have been replaced, there is surface corrosion to the front subframe, wheels have sadly been painted satin black, it pours out grey smoke when you put your foot down, and the handbrake light flashes when the handbrake is on with the engine on. It is a 2.0 diesel. Also the aircon isn't ice cold. I got to drive it after we got home to pop to the shops which I took a 4 mile detour to a dual carriage way lol. Stunning performance. The reviews are totally bogus online. Love the whole car. This is a long term keeper.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

I THINK there is a recall on the K-frame on the Calibers. Seems like Chrysler is replacing them free of charge, if you want to check into that. I can't help you with the grey smoke or handbrake light. I'm not a mechanic. Happy to hear you like it and hope you get what seems to be a few minor issues sorted out. If you're close to his shop, maybe you could go see Edd China. I understand he's no longer doing Wheeler Dealers with Mike Brewer, due to Velocity wanting him to compromise his thorough explanations of what he's repairing and how to go about it. Good for him. A straight up, honest man of integrity. Rare nowadays!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Charlie Patterson

Trust the reviews they aren't lies.

I highly doubt Dodge will honour the warranty in the EU. And it only applies if there are cracks and or actual rust through on the sub frames.

Mine is terrible looking but the dealer didn't find any perforation thus won't replace it. Here's hoping next year they do.

Good luck with it.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Note: If your email address requires someone to click a link before they can send you email, DO NOT REGISTER WITH IT as no one is here to click the link and you will never get your activation email!
We have banned MANY Free email providers.
If you get notice that your email address is banned when you try to sign up, it is because its been banned due to spammers using the provider, or too many members bouncing emails we send back to us via the free provider! If this happens to you, you will need to use a different email. If you do not provide a valid email address you will not receive your activation email. We recommend that you register with an email address which is attached to your ISP! Not a free service! We have found that using free accounts causes you to not receive your registration email. In any case, you should add CaliberForumZ.com to your spam filter whether using a free account or your ISP account. If you bounce email to us, you will have your account deleted and your IP address banned!

Where you live

Enter the Year and Model of your vehicle here. (e.g. - Caliber)

What trim level did you purchase?

What sex are you?

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.