08 Caliber jerking / bucking / shudder during acceleration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 08 Caliber jerking / bucking / shudder during acceleration

I've searched through many forums and read multiple threads about this somewhat common occurrence. But I have yet to read of my particular circumstance and/or a fix. My 08 caliber (bought new by me) w/110k miles will intermittently jerk/buck while accelerating. No lights or codes. It happens at varying speed and RPM. It seems to be more prevalent when the engine is warmed up and it's hot outside. It also only happens when in automatic mode. I can switch to manual mode (shifting through gears manually), and it acts just fine. The car idles and decelerates fine. Other than replacing the alternator (@80k miles), I have not had any other issues other than minor maintenance. Has anyone encountered this specifically or have any good places to start. I have not had any mechanic look at it as of yet.
    Last edited by jdub311; 09-01-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: left out information

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

Have you ever done a tune up on it or cleaned the throttle body? Recommended plug change is every 30,000 miles. And if you have a lot of miles on it, I'd clean the throttle body and put a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner in it. I used to get it pretty cheaply at Walmart. Haven't bought any in about a year as I got a new car and got rid of my other two vehicles. I did use it in them and never had an issue like that. Both had well over 100,000 miles on them. I'm originally from TN. A tiny little town by the TN River called New Johnsonville.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Charlie Patterson

Had this issue in my 08 RT. Did a lot of troubleshooting. Ended up replacing the spark plugs and it was as good as new. Easy 40 ish dollar thing to try that takes 0 effort

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

No response from the OP since Sept 1st. I doubt he's coming back.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Charlie Patterson

Wife has been having similar problems with her 2011 Caliber with a 2.0L motor. I did a bunch of reading here on the forum, and around the interwebs and decided that it could use new O2 sensor since it's at 161K km's (100K miles). Changed those today and almost all the shudder, hesitation, bucking and jerking went away...still had a couple minor incidents while test driving it.

But after seeing this thread and Tempwaves comment that spark plugs made a difference I decided to check them, since we ave had the car for a couple years now, and I can't honestly recall every checking or replacing them. I'm pretty sure it still has the OEM NGK ZFR5F11 plugs in there....I checked the gap and it was almost .080!!! And a couple of the tips were worn at an angle, so I cleaned the plugs up, filed the tips flat and reset them to .044 and took it for a drive....even better now that the gap is set closer to where it should be, virtually none of the previous symptoms.....maybe just a very very slight miss at around 60km/h, but could be imagining it? Will be picking up some platinum plugs and installing those in the next couple days and see how it drives then.

Thanks again to the comments above....very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinghigh View Post
    Have you ever done a tune up on it or cleaned the throttle body? Recommended plug change is every 30,000 miles. And if you have a lot of miles on it, I'd clean the throttle body and put a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner in it.
    I plan on picking up some injector cleaner, and look at cleaning the throttle body as well....Thanks for the suggestion!

The RECOMMENDED spark plug change interval on the Caliber is every 30,000 miles. And I'd recommend just staying with the OEM type plugs. None of that high dollar quad tipped titanium, platinum dipped gold edged baloney.
    Albert Einstein

Charlie Patterson

Yea the cheap champions run best in this engine! I have tried them all and always switch back to the champions. Even over the cheap NGKs.

I havent posted in awhile but recently my car (2007 RT) kept doing this shuddering with high RPM and turning off at stoplights unless I put it in neutral. I first did a tune-up new plugs NGK and Oil Change no change) I looked here and Youtube and decided to get a new throttle body. I had it put in and now the red lightning bolt is in the dash and check engine light. It starts then turns off unless i give it gas to keep it going every time . High RPMs and jerks when i let my foot off of the gas while driving. When Its going its fine as long as i am on the pedal. I have tried every reset i can find. The + - battery wires together for 15 minutes, the key in on position 30 seconds gas down then up wait 1 hour to drive.I even tried the same thing 3x . Nothing changes. The only codes are the P1607 and P0118 according to my code reader. I also have bought 3 PCV valves all special order and not one has fit yet (waiting on the 4th one tomorrow). Any suggestions ? My friend who did the TB install says goto the dealer and they can reset it. I am at a loss any help would be appreciated? TIA
    Last edited by damionnc; 10-10-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Both of those codes indicate the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS). Perhaps you should change that and see what happens. Here's a link to what O'Reilly Auto has. ttps://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/lighting---electrical-16777/switches-16486/a-c-switches-16500/coolant-temperature-sensor-sender-switch-11362/2007/dodge/caliber?q=engine%20coolant%20temperature%20sensor
    Last edited by Flyinghigh; 10-11-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Charlie Patterson

13. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Note: If your email address requires someone to click a link before they can send you email, DO NOT REGISTER WITH IT as no one is here to click the link and you will never get your activation email!
We have banned MANY Free email providers.
If you get notice that your email address is banned when you try to sign up, it is because its been banned due to spammers using the provider, or too many members bouncing emails we send back to us via the free provider! If this happens to you, you will need to use a different email. If you do not provide a valid email address you will not receive your activation email. We recommend that you register with an email address which is attached to your ISP! Not a free service! We have found that using free accounts causes you to not receive your registration email. In any case, you should add CaliberForumZ.com to your spam filter whether using a free account or your ISP account. If you bounce email to us, you will have your account deleted and your IP address banned!

Where you live

Enter the Year and Model of your vehicle here. (e.g. - Caliber)

What trim level did you purchase?

What sex are you?

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.