Check Automatic Transaxle Fluid
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Check Automatic Transaxle Fluid

2007 Dodge Caliber 2.4 R/T AWD

I copied this from the service manual:

CAUTION: Do not check the automatic transaxle fluid. It must be checked by a trained service technician every 15,000 miles and if required only the recommended fluid be added. Refer to the section “Fluids, Lubricants And Genuine Parts” for the proper fluid.

I have not been taking the R/T in to be checked every 15,000 miles. I suspect that is common practice. I see the service volume for automatic transaxle fluid is 4 quarts. The service manual does not tell me how to check the automatic transaxle fluid or how to drain and refill it like the rear driveline module.

Is check the automatic transaxle fluid and draining and refilling it somehow not a DIY task?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

the procedure is in the service manual in the transmission section (page 418 in the 2007 manual)

You can buy the dipstick from NAPA (mine had it in stock)

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=917-327

The real problem with doing it yourself is you need to know the transmission temperature. I haven't found a way to get that w/o pro level scan equipment. You can of course check it and see if its way low..
    Last edited by gjxj; 07-17-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjxj View Post
    the procedure is in the service manual in the transmission section (page 418 in the 2007 manual)

You can buy the dipstick from NAPA (mine had it in stock)

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=917-327

The real problem with doing it yourself is you need to know the transmission temperature. I haven't found a way to get that w/o pro level scan equipment. You can of course check it and see if its way low..
    Hmmmm. Lotta bumps in the Caliber roadmap here.

My "Dodge Caliber 2007 Service Manual" pdf url reads like this: 2007-Dodge%20Caliber%20PM-Service%20Manual.pdf

When I look at page 418, I see stuff about brakes, nothing about the transmission. I wonder if I have the wrong "Dodge Caliber 2007 Service Manual"?

Furthermore, when I scroll down the Index Page 1, I see Transmission and Driveline, but when I click on that to go there, I get a gray page (text ending on page 4700 out of 5815).

Thinking I might have a messed-up manual. I tried to download a new 2007 service manual.

Ooops, "Closed thread" and links to Ebay don't work.

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthr...ad-lt-lt-lt-lt

So far as I can deduce according to what you see on your page 418. whereas most Caliber fluid maintenance calls for periodic drain and refill, the only criteria noted in your reply to my post seems to be to maintain the level of the (transmission) fluid regardless of how long or how many miles has be been put on the car. Since the rear driveline module takes the same fluid, and has a drain plug and a fill plug, it seems strange to me that the (front) transmission seems to have no way to drain ... although it might have a refill tube.

Your thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

my bad , it is page "21 - 418" which is actually page 5127 in the pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by gjxj View Post
    my bad , it is page "21 - 418" which is actually page 5127 in the pdf.
    gjxj, as I said, my pdf is damaged / incomplete; for some reason, it only goes to page 4700, a Caliberforumz thread to download service manuals is closed and its links to Ebay don't work.

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthr...ad-lt-lt-lt-lt

What do you advise?

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthr...558#post122558
    Last edited by Aleks; 07-18-2017 at 06:16 AM.

TRANSMISSION FILL
    To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:
    1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
    2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
    3. Add following initial quantity of MOPART CVT+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid, to the transmission:
    a. If only fluid and filter were changed, add 7.0 L (14.8 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
    b. If the transmission was completely overhauled or the torque converter was replaced or drained, add 8.1 L
    (17.1 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
    4. Check the transmission fluid (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - CVT/FLUID - STANDARD
    PROCEDURE) and adjust as required.

Try the Android Apps for temp readings.
    replaced - hub bolts, warped rotors, 3 batteries, 2 screens, 12 alloy wheels, seat cover, armrest, Track-rod ends, clutch master cylinder, LH tail unit, LCAs, rear toe link,

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    torque doesn't have it,. even if you download a bunch of add ons you get a "second temperature" which is always precisely the same as the engine temperature.

If anyone knows an app with the tranny temp that would be good info.

dubina, be sure to check your messages

TRANSMISSION FILL
    To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:
    1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
    2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
    3. Add following initial quantity of MOPART CVT+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid, to the transmission:
    a. If only fluid and filter were changed, add 7.0 L (14.8 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
    b. If the transmission was completely overhauled or the torque converter was replaced or drained, add 8.1 L
    (17.1 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
    4. Check the transmission fluid (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - CVT/FLUID - STANDARD
    PROCEDURE) and adjust as required.

Aleks,

I don't know how to "change fluid and filter" per 3a and...

...I am currently unable to (4. Check the transmission fluid (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - CVT/FLUID - STANDARD
    PROCEDURE) and adjust as required.) because...

...the Service manual I just downloaded only goes to page 4700...for some reason, the same end point as the 2007 Dodge Caliber service manual I downloaded years ago...and page 4700 does not get me to the 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE section.

I have no idea why the manual download is not complete beyond page 4700. One possibility is that the source file is not complete, but I don't know that for sure. If someone else could check that download for the same result, I think that would be the case.

I update the manual link.

I downloaded again this week complete.
    replaced - hub bolts, warped rotors, 3 batteries, 2 screens, 12 alloy wheels, seat cover, armrest, Track-rod ends, clutch master cylinder, LH tail unit, LCAs, rear toe link,

I update the manual link.

I downloaded again this week complete.
    Aleks,

I did not see the updated manual link in your post, so I used the link to Filedropper, thinking that might be where I should go to get the service manual. It was the same link I used to download the manual that ended at page 4700, but I thought you might have something to do with the Filedropper download.

Long story short, the Filedropper download was the same (truncated at page 4700) as before.

So I wonder if I missed your updated manual link, or, if not, maybe my PC in somehow causing the Filedropper download to go dark at page 4700.

What do you think?

13. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Note: If your email address requires someone to click a link before they can send you email, DO NOT REGISTER WITH IT as no one is here to click the link and you will never get your activation email!
We have banned MANY Free email providers.
If you get notice that your email address is banned when you try to sign up, it is because its been banned due to spammers using the provider, or too many members bouncing emails we send back to us via the free provider! If this happens to you, you will need to use a different email. If you do not provide a valid email address you will not receive your activation email. We recommend that you register with an email address which is attached to your ISP! Not a free service! We have found that using free accounts causes you to not receive your registration email. In any case, you should add CaliberForumZ.com to your spam filter whether using a free account or your ISP account. If you bounce email to us, you will have your account deleted and your IP address banned!

Where you live

Enter the Year and Model of your vehicle here. (e.g. - Caliber)

What trim level did you purchase?

What sex are you?

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.