Front strut question
+ Reply to Thread

Default Front strut question

My son has a 2007 Caliber and tire shop told him his front struts were bad. To save him some money I told him to get the strut assemblies and I would install them, as well as outer tie rod ends. I told him he would have to go and get an alignment after install, but I did carefully match thread count on new outer tie rod ends, so they're close to originals. New strut assemblies were complete with springs, and install went smooth. After completing and removing jack, the car sat extremely higher in the front than before. I mean probably 5 inches higher or more. I bought this car new before giving to my son a few years ago, and it was never this high in the front. I triple checked that everything was seated properly, and all looked as it should to me. This was a week or so ago, and now he called and told me the fairly new tires on front of car have extreme wear on outer edges. I realize alignment needs to be done, but he has only driven it a 100 miles or so. My question is this, are all the various year and model front strut assemblies the same part number, and is there something I may have missed or done wrong on what seemed to be a straight forward installation, that is making this car sit up so high in the front? I think it may be so extreme that the tires are not squarely on the ground. I realize alignment needs to be done, but I'm feeling that something else is not right with front end so high. I sure would appreciate any learned opinions anyone could offer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

5 inches higher would make me believe you got the wrong strut.

Glenn
    18" chrome wheels, Weathertech ventvisors, Speaker trim rings, Chrome door sill plates, Lund bug shield, Musicgate w/6 disc, Sirius, Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow fogs, PIAA Extreme White Headlights, Custom painted engine and air intake covers, K&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust.
    If in doubt - Read the forum rules!
    have any questions? PM me or Read the FAQ's
    Help support CaliberForumZ by becoming a Site Supporter!

Quote Originally Posted by Excaliber07 View Post
    5 inches higher would make me believe you got the wrong strut.
    Went to RockAuto site and verified part numbers, so I guess I have look further into this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

Default I know this post is a year old , but .......

Quote Originally Posted by VeroWing View Post
    Went to RockAuto site and verified part numbers, so I guess I have look further into this.

I know this thread was from last year but I bought a car and the nose is pointed towards the stars. Did you ever find the issue?

Quick update on my previous strut question. I bought the car with the front end sitting high. After a bunch of research I came to a conclusion. It looked as though the front strut assemblies had been replaced at some time (however they didnt look brand new). The bump stops on the strut shaft weren't the OEM style or the Monroe type. I found several versions of the the typical cheap Chinese complete struts online ( carried by Prime Choice here in Canada). They all have a white sticker just below the spring seat and the units on this car had that same white sticker just below the spring seats, OEM had no stickers and the Monroe units have a red sticker down lower on the strut. It felt to me that the front spring had too high of a spring rate. I ended up buying a pair of Complete Monroe quick struts, I think softer springs may have fixed it but I was pressed for time and really didn't have the time to take them out and swap springs. When I compared the new Monroe struts to the ones I took out It first looked as though they were exactly the same length. However I finally noticed that the two large bolt holes in the bottom bracket of the strut were approximately one inch lower in the bracket on the ones I pulled out. This means that the measurement from the top mount of the strut to the spindle is one inch longer which would in turn lift the front of the car an inch. Add to that a spring that is a little too heavy and that would account for it. The Monroe struts initially sat just a little lower than the ones that came out, within a week or two they have now settled down to a normal ride height. So my take is that the Cheap Chinese struts are similar to OEM specs and they will bolt in but it did cause the car to sit too high. It rode OK however I dont know if there would have been tire wear problems over time.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Note: If your email address requires someone to click a link before they can send you email, DO NOT REGISTER WITH IT as no one is here to click the link and you will never get your activation email!
We have banned MANY Free email providers.
If you get notice that your email address is banned when you try to sign up, it is because its been banned due to spammers using the provider, or too many members bouncing emails we send back to us via the free provider! If this happens to you, you will need to use a different email. If you do not provide a valid email address you will not receive your activation email. We recommend that you register with an email address which is attached to your ISP! Not a free service! We have found that using free accounts causes you to not receive your registration email. In any case, you should add CaliberForumZ.com to your spam filter whether using a free account or your ISP account. If you bounce email to us, you will have your account deleted and your IP address banned!

Where you live

Enter the Year and Model of your vehicle here. (e.g. - Caliber)

What trim level did you purchase?

What sex are you?

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.