LED Headlights - Any one try them yet?
+ Reply to Thread

Question LED Headlights - Any one try them yet?

After doing some research, it looks like stock halogen headlight bulbs produce about 20-22 Lumens per watt, meaning for a 55 watt halogen headlight bulb that our Calibers use they push out about 1100-1200 Lumens.

I found these LED headlight bulbs that push out 2200 Lumens for the low beam and 2600 Lumens for the high beam:
    http://www.thejeephut.com/products/l...ghts-pair.html

Another link:
    http://www.gtrlighting.com/led-headl...0-lumen-bulbs/

My only issue is, like with HIDs, would I have to deal with flickering and need a resistor between the wiring for the LED headlight bulb kit and the stock harness? The 2nd link above looks like it may already have a resistor between the bulbs and stock harness, but I'm not certain. The description in the 2nd link also says flicker free, so maybe it will work just fine.

If someone has tried these, please let me know. These seem like good, long lasting alternatives to halogens and match the CREE LED fog lights I have perfectly in color intensity.

For reference, here is a pretty good video (granted, it's for a Polaris Ranger off road vehicle, but believe it or not, this applies to our Calibers regarding benefits and installation and it's even the same bulb size as stock bulbs - H13):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjjsvVYGth8

Another reference video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjidNFCnYoU
    Last edited by nyteryder79; 04-03-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added another link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

Most of the problem with HIDs is the noise that the ballasts feedback to the TIPM. The other problem is resistance difference. The same problem is experienced with LED tails on these cars. The page says relays and such are not needed. It could be they are already built in.

If you get them; let us know the results.
    Brad
    After 9+ years, 99% of all possible questions have been 100% answered. They're here, it just takes some coaxing.
    Retired this day December 31,2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Prop1 View Post
    Most of the problem with HIDs is the noise that the ballasts feedback to the TIPM. The other problem is resistance difference. The same problem is experienced with LED tails on these cars. The page says relays and such are not needed. It could be they are already built in.

If you get them; let us know the results.
    There are forum threads and videos of people putting these in their Jeeps, which I'm assuming have similar wiring for headlights as a Caliber, since they are both Chrysler products. It seems to work fine for them, so I may just give it a shot. I think the hardest part of the install is getting the bulbs into the headlight housing. I have fat hands/forearms and always end up cutting myself on something every time I switch out bulbs. I'm also worried about clearance behind the bulb because of the heatsinks on these. If I do end up going with this, I'll post results.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

I have LED (chinese kit) in Caliber. Much better than H4 halogen.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CaliberForumz.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Note: If your email address requires someone to click a link before they can send you email, DO NOT REGISTER WITH IT as no one is here to click the link and you will never get your activation email!
We have banned MANY Free email providers.
If you get notice that your email address is banned when you try to sign up, it is because its been banned due to spammers using the provider, or too many members bouncing emails we send back to us via the free provider! If this happens to you, you will need to use a different email. If you do not provide a valid email address you will not receive your activation email. We recommend that you register with an email address which is attached to your ISP! Not a free service! We have found that using free accounts causes you to not receive your registration email. In any case, you should add CaliberForumZ.com to your spam filter whether using a free account or your ISP account. If you bounce email to us, you will have your account deleted and your IP address banned!

Where you live

Enter the Year and Model of your vehicle here. (e.g. - Caliber)

What trim level did you purchase?

What sex are you?

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.