Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Replaced camshaft positioning sensor now electronic throttle body light is on why

8K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Flyinghigh 
#1 ·
Ok my girls 2011 caliber which has like 40k miles on it was having problems. The check engine light came on so I took it to the local store to see what the code was. It came up camshaft positioning sensor. So I replaced both of them and the check engine light stayed on but when she got home the electronic throttle body light on the dash came on the red light with the lighting bolt. Now why would this happen and also is it because I got the sensors from AutoZone? I am about to take it to dodge but I am trying to avoid wasting 150 just to have them tell me what AutoZone will tell me what the codes mean and what's coming up. Why once I changed the sensors this new light comes on? I am going to put the old ones back in to see of it removes this light but also is there a way for me to clear the codes myself like half tun the key 3 times or anything. If there is anyone out there that can give me some advice please I need it!

#2 ·
Disconnect the battery and tie, hold or clamp both battery cables together for 15 minutes. This will reset the TIPM. While you're waiting, remove the junk Autozone sensors and put the OEM ones back in. I used to work for Autozone and Advance and the aftermarket sensors are NOT properly calibrated. Get them from the dealership. You get what you pay for. Have you tried replacing the plugs (supposed to do that every 30,000 miles) and cleaning the throttle body? Give that a try too. Plug change can be done in 15-20 minutes. Be sure to use a little anti-seize compound on the new plugs too. Stay with the OEM recommended plugs too. Should be a label under the hood with the part #.

#3 ·
Ok well I went to dodge bought the OEM sensors and I also got the spark plugs and installed them all which took about 20 mins. While I was doing this I disconnected the negitive terminal on the battery and put everything back together after I was done and turned the key and no check engine light and no throttle body light. Car ran smooth drove it to a couple places and turned it of at each place and drove nice and smooth. It really made a huge difference than buying those crap sensors from AutoZone Ethan from the dodge dealership. I dont even know how they get,away,with selling them when they don't even work. I appreciate the help on this man helped me out alot and saved me alot of money thanks

#4 ·
You're quite welcome, man. And please answer my question about whether or not you're in Spring Hill, TN. I have a buddy in Columbia that's a pretty good mechanic and he's a Mopar man 100%. He does a little work on the side from time to time and MIGHT be able to help you out in the future. He actually lives in Spring Hill. He just works in Columbia and hangs out there at one of his friends car lots on his days off. Gun toting, gun crazy man. BUT, he's my friend.

#8 ·
Gotcha! Mother in law is in Clearwater, Pinellas County. Wife was born and raised there and most of her family is over that way. Still too damned close for my comfort!

#11 ·
Dual Variable Valve Timing (VVT) allows the PCM to monitor and adjust the position of each camshaft, based on desired torque levels and engine operating conditions. The PCM controls two solenoid operated control valves, one for each camshaft, that are used to direct oil pressure to hydraulic actuators mounted between each camshaft and its driving sprocket. The oil pressure alters the angular position or phasing of each camshaft relative to crankshaft rotation. A sensor is used to monitor the position of each camshaft.

#10 ·
No, I don't know where it is on the Caliber for sure, but I THINK it's under the starter or in the vicinity of the starter anyway. You can probably do a google search and find out. Pretty sure it's just one sensor since you only have one crankshaft. Good luck with it.

#13 ·
I myself have a diesel but I pulled the quote from another thread here for you.
Download the service manual for guidance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.