Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Why no Diesel in US?

Tags
diesel engine
40K views 203 replies 32 participants last post by  Aleks 
#1 ·
New guy here, question, if chysler builds all Caliber's here in the US plus exports them, why is it we can't get the Diesel engine option? I know a lot of US auto builders don't seem to like deisels and don't like sellig them. I've been to Germany this past April and saw about 50% or better of the small cars runnig diesels and they seem to run very clean.

I know the US want's to set some kind of emission standard, but there are clean burning diesels sold in Europe. Any reason why they don't want them here? Shouldn't we have the option to order diesel engines if we want them?

Jim

#40 ·
The Caliber MY07-09 uses a VW diesel engine. VW USA announced that their July US sales were 30% diesel variants.

Volkswagen diesels -- Jetta, Jetta SportWagen and Touareg TDI -- posted their best sales month since their re-launch with 6,320 units sold -- accounting for more than 30 percent of total sales.

Volkswagen sold 20,590 units, representing a 0.7 percent increase over July 2008, with diesels selling well during the cash for clunkers program. Diesels represented 81 percent of SportWagen sales and 40 percent of Jetta sedan sales.

Like sister division Volkswagen, diesels are taking a growing chunk of Audi sales. About 28 percent of all Q7 sales in July were diesel powered.

#41 ·
HERNDON, Virginia — Volkswagen of America plans to launch the redesigned 2010 VW Golf and GTI in a multistage rollout, starting with the GTI in September, followed by the Golf in October and the Golf TDI in November. VW is dropping the Rabbit name for model year 2010 and reverting to Golf on its standard hatchback models.
Golf TDI will start at $21,990 for the two-door and $22,590 for the four-door.

The 2010 Golf TDI shares its 140-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder clean diesel with the Jetta AND DODGE CALIBER - outside N America. With six-speed manual gearbox, VW says the TDI will be rated by the EPA at 29 mpg in city driving and 40 mpg on the highway. The TDI also can be equipped with a DSG dual-clutch automatic.

#42 ·
One big problem we have with Diesel cars in the US is fuel availability. You need to look to find a gas station that also sells Diesel. Until that problem is solved, I don't think Diesel cars will catch on until all gas statins sell Diesel.

#43 ·
Chrysler is already building high-MPG diesel-powered vehicles in the United States.
A diesel engine can be found under the hood of more than 50% of the vehicles that Chrysler sells in Europe, half of those models currently achieve 35 miles per gallon combined. American citizens are not offered the fuel-efficient cars they build.
These are wonderful world-class cars, a world apart from your Uncle’s noisy, slow, smelly 80’s-era diesel.
Chrysler is using four different diesel engines, in all:

•2.0 liter Volkswagen turbo-diesel inline four (Avenger, Caliber, Compass, Journey, Sebring, Patriot)
•2.2 liter Mercedes-Benz inline four (PT Cruiser)
•2.8 liter VM Motari inline four (Cherokee, Grand Voyager, Nitro, Wrangler)
•3.0 liter Mercedes-Benz V6 (300, Commander, Grand Cherokee)

Chrysler PT Cruiser Diesel Plant: Toluca, Mexico
Engine: Mercedes-Benz 2.2 liter common rail diesel four cylinder, producing 148 HP and 221 foot pounds of torque. 0-62 MPH in 10.8 second, when equipped with a five-speed manual transmission.
(Domestic: 2.4 liter I4/5-speed Manual )

US MPG Euro Diesel ( Domestic US MPG )
Highway 42 (26 )
City 27.3 ( 21 )
Combined 35.1

Dodge Caliber Diesel Plant: Belvidere, IL
Engine: Volkswagen 2.0 liter common rail turbo-diesel, producing 138 HP and 229 foot pounds of torque. 0-62 MPH in 8.8 seconds when equipped with a six-speed manual transmission.
(Domestic: 1.8 liter I4/5-speed manual)

US MPG Euro Diesel (Domestic US MPG )
Highway 49 ( 29 )
City 29.8 ( 24 )
Combined 39.2

Dodge Nitro Diesel Plant: Toledo, Ohio
Engine: VM Motori 2.8 liter common rail diesel four cylinder, producing 174 HP and 302 foot pounds of torque. 0-62 MPH in 10.5 second when equipped with a five-speed automatic transmission.
(Domestic: 3.7 liter V6/6-speed manual)

US MPG Euro Diesel ( Domestic US MPG )
Highway 30.1 ( 22 )
City 19.3 ( 16 )
Combined 25

#45 ·
I get an average of 46 mpg UK gallons( or 38.8 mpg US ) out of my 08 SXT CRD Sport, the same engine in a Skoda or Golf turns out 49-52 mpg (39.2 - 41.6 M/US Gal). For the SXT Models over here it costs about £1000 more than the Gas ones. Given that I do 60 miles a day, I think its time a went for a VW group car and got the better fuel Economy with better build quality. but that's another story..........

#46 ·
I just got 47.5 MPG on a run from Brighton to Cheltenham ( UK ) In my Diesel Patriot. This is pretty impressive . This is also the most you are going to get out of this engine fitted in a Skoda , VW, SEAT or AUDI......No matter what they claim--!! If you want 50--60MPG out of a Diesel , go & buy a FIAT Panda with the 1.3 Turbo Diesel engine....but all you get is a small Italian shopping car!!

#50 ·
Could be in the product plan next week ...

"the models to be unveiled over the next five years will most likely offer diesel technology, which consumes less fuel and has already proved popular in Europe.
Fiat’s diesel technology has long been among the best in world, and the company worked with G.M. to develop a successful diesel engine for Opel, G.M’s European operation, earlier this decade."

#52 ·
Another reason is:
Several manufacturers have attempted to introduce Diesel cars into the US, only the Germans were able to produce a small success at this. A major problem is that for the most part, Americans are OK with gasoline powered cars, and have not found any compelling reason to switch. Battery powered cars have a much better chance of catching on than Diesel ever will.
Strictly an acceptance and marketing issue.

#53 · (Edited)
Diesel mis-information

Americans have been kept in the dark about the about-change with 2nd generation
diesels. Too many people remember the GM diesel fiasco from the 70's, and are not aware of the newer technology.

Not quite Dave. You live in a closed-in urban area. Some folks have to travel
considerable distances just to buy a quart of milk!
Battery power still seems to be a less-than-100-mile-at-a-crack application. And then recharge time does not lend itself to long jaunts either.

BTW, your love for battery power seems to ignore replacement costs ---- which,
along with the hybrids will be sky-high, and will be reflected in their used values,
once people find out about that myth too!
It is sorta like when everybody wanted to climb on the turbo train, until they
found out that turbos were expendable, like spark plugs, and replacement costs
were sometimes more than the used vehicle was worth! Ask your older Saab owners about this! ----- or Shelby GLH owners......:smiledown:

#54 ·
As far as battery power for cars go - yes we are definitely a long way off (we may never come up with a suitable light weight, low cost, long life battery for powering vehicles), no I'm not particularly "in love" with battery power.

I'm just stating some currently known facts - The general American public has not accepted Diesel cars, and they believe that a "miracle battery" is "just around the corner".
Hybrids - yes, everone that I know (several people) that has one, said that they would never buy another one. (their mileage is not as "phenominal" as advertised, so they pretty much get a negative ROI, especially with less than $3.00 a gallon gas)

For me, for now, I'm OK with small (4cyl) gasoline engines, and would not be interested in Diesel - not a whole lot of gas stations in our area that sell it either - a very major problem, I might add.

#55 ·
Do You know Fisker Karma ?
The company was founded 2007 in California and their product is "World's First Luxury Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle" with 300 mile range. The cars are built in Finland ...
Valmet Automotive also builds Porsche Boxsters and Caymans.

#56 ·
Only the first 1,000 maybe ..

Fisker Automotive has selected the Wilmington Assembly plant in Wilmington Delaware to build affordable plug-in hybrid cars. Fisker executives made the announcement inside the dormant facility today, joined by Vice President Joe Biden, Delaware Governor Jack Markell and other state officials. The plant will support Fisker Automotive’s Project NINA, the development and build of an affordable, family-oriented plug-in hybrid sedan costing about $39,900 after federal tax credits. Production is scheduled to begin in late 2012 and create 2000 factory jobs and more than 3000 vendor/supplier jobs when production reaches full capacity in 2014.

#59 ·
Correct Brad its been long proven that any Plug in Car or Hybrid is , in the long term , more polluting than a well maintained fossil fuel vehicle . This mainly stems from pollution caused by manufacture , emmissions from the plug in Power source ( Dont forget plug in every 100 miles), & the end of life disposal pollution ie, Batteries , Motors , Plasic covered cables etc. I still believe that with further reseach , the Otto Cycle combustion engine is no way near the end of its useful life ,& no we are not running out of oil.Germany ran the last couple of years of WW2 using synthetic oil , & we are doing the same today by developing vegitable & Algea based products. Remember if you are a Greenie & running a Greenie car--NO YOU ARE NOT!!

#60 ·
VW’s TDI diesels account for nearly a quarter of Volkswagen’s US sales in November 2009.

#62 · (Edited)
November 2009, Volkswagen-Porsche overtook Toyota to become the world's largest car manufacturer in terms of production.

There are more VWs being sold in the US than 'Chryslers'

Brand YoYVol% Nov-09
Toyota 1% 115,200
Ford 2% 105,133
Chevrolet 4% 100,023
Honda -5% 65,234
Nissan 30% 50,644
Hyundai 46% 28,045
Dodge -8% 24,268
GMC 5% 21,301
Lexus 14% 18,500
Kia 18% 17,955
Subaru 24% 16,988
Mercedes-Benz 19% 16,797
Volkswagen 14% 16,250
BMW 3% 15,708
Jeep -24% 15,339
Mazda 1% 14,255
Chrysler -37% 12,544
Cadillac 10% 9,721
Acura 11% 8,769
Buick 15% 8,627
Pontiac -39% 7,426
Mercury -10% 6,994
Audi 0% 6,810
Lincoln -20% 6,409
Infiniti -26% 5,644
Volvo 5% 4,631
Saturn -54% 3,737
Mitsubishi -43% 2,925
Mini -44% 2,564
Porsche 18% 1,626
Suzuki -52% 1,540
Smart -70% 661
Saab -56% 371
Hummer -85% 221

Automaker Pct. chng. Nov. 2009

General Motors –2% 150,676
Toyota 3% 133,700
Ford Motor Co. 0% 122,846
Honda (American) –3% 74,003
Chrysler Group LLC –25% 63,560
Nissan 21% 56,288
Hyundai Group 34% 46,002
VW 9% 23,191
BMW Group –8% 18,302
Daimler AG 9% 17,461
Subaru 24% 16,988
Mazda 1% 14,255
Jaguar Land Rover 20% 3,319
Mitsubishi –43% 2,925
Porsche 18% 1,626
Suzuki –52% 1,540
Maserati –37% 100
Other (estimate) –32% 304
TOTAL 0% 747,086

#63 ·
Chrysler's new vehicle line up using Fiat platforms will remain broadly unchanged in mix dominated by full-size pickups, SUVs, large cars and minivans. New engine technology from FIAT will increase fuel economy in nearly all segments.

Some models WILL offer FIAT Diesel engines initially in Canada.

#64 ·
Chrysler's new vehicle line up using Fiat platforms will remain broadly unchanged in mix dominated by full-size pickups, SUVs, large cars and minivans. New engine technology from FIAT will increase fuel economy in nearly all segments.

Some models WILL offer FIAT Diesel engines initially in Canada.
These are the areas where Chrysler does best.

#65 ·
Honda is reversing ! Bloomberg ..

Honda previously planned to offer diesel engines to increase the fuel efficiency of Acura models. That effort was canceled because of a surge in prices of the fuel and the high cost of the company’s diesel system.
Instead new gasoline-electric models planned for its Acura line are intended to improve the image of the U.S. premium brand and increase fuel economy.
The automaker will offer a “wide range” of hybrid Acuras, John Mendel, Honda’s U.S. executive vice president, said in a speech today at the Automotive News World Congress in Detroit.

#66 · (Edited)
Daryl Hannah has been driving around for five years in a 1983 diesel El Camino she bought off eBay in Sacramento for $3,000. She sold it the same way in 2008 for $15,600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyprtCRiGE&feature=related

Now she runs her Kill Bill TransAm on ethanol

although there is a story that after a year she bought a 1984 diesel El Camino and again painted it stealth black as it had become such a signature feature.

#68 ·
I saw a Dodge Sprinter today with CRD on the rear doors. I thought WTF?? If they can put the diesel in the Ram trucks and Sprinters, why can't they offer them in the Calibers and Liberty's as well as other models. I seriously think this has helped contribute to the downfall of Chrysler in the States.

#69 · (Edited)
Sprinter is not DODGE anymore

Freightliner, a name well known in automotive history, and a leader in long - haul trucking is now selling Sprinter Vans, designed and powered by Mercedes-Benz and assembled by Freightliner in America.

Few people understand real world-requirements better than Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner. A fact demonstrated over the years with their top-quaIity vehicles, comprehensive service and innovative offerings.

Sprinter Vans have the best-in·class payload capacity, cargo capacity, side door opening area, rear door opening area, and standard interior standing height.

With the Sprinter, you not only get superior efficiency, quality, and comfort, you also get superior service. Sprinter has hundreds of locations across North America to service you vehicle.

WE’\/E GOT IT COVERED...with the reliable Mercedes-Benz CDI turbo diesel engine powering the Sprinter, we are so confident with the dependability of the Sprinter we covered it with some of the longest, most comprehensive warranties in the business.

Mercedes has decided to pull the plug on Chrysler from Jan 1st 2010. About 350 dealers sell the Sprinter as a Dodge, and the large commercial van has managed sales of about 20,000 per year since it donned the Ram head in 2003. Mercedes is switching to 120 dealers branded Daimler Vans USA.

The updated Sprinter van, which will now be branded as a Mercedes, will receive a new 3.0L diesel engine that will reportedly be eligible for sale in all 50 US states. The Daimler dealers will reportedly be able to sell up to 18,000 vans per year, a sizable portion of the van's production quota of 32,000 vehicles per year. The remaining production will be sold as Freightliners. The commercial vehicle company has 45 specialized Sprinter van dealers across the nation.
The big losers in the deal could be the 350 Dodge dealers who spent $30-50K to upgrade their dealerships to sell and service the vans.

The model was relaunched with the more modern 3.0-liter BlueTec turbo-diesel V-6 that’s offered on the Mercedes-Benz ML320 BlueTec, along with variants of the GL-Class and R-Class. The new engine in the Benz SUVs makes 210 horsepower and 398 pound-feet, while the older 3.0-liter turbo-diesel V-6 currently in the Sprinter makes 154 hp and 280 lb-ft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.