Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Engine cover

64K views 199 replies 78 participants last post by  Seyren 
G
#1 ·
Do All Caliber Engins Have The Engine Cover???

I Just Bought My Sxt 2.0 Today. I Love It, But When I Opened The Hood I Realized That There Was No Engine Cover On It. Can Any Let Me Know If They Have One Or Not. The Dealer Said Not All Clibers Come With The Engine Cover. Black Cover Ontop Of Your Engine That Says 1.4, 2.0, 2.4???????

#36 ·
Woah! never thought of that, I'm going to have to look into that. LOL!;)

#38 ·
LOL! talk about going over the top! I'm actually nervous about going overboard, may look too tacky. I'm thinking once the battery/air intake is done, so am I in the engine compartment.

#40 ·
Well it depends an what might compliment the things I've done. I'd like to get some chrome or billet accesories to add on.:D

#41 ·
Not done yet

I am going to finnish the whole air filter box not just the draft slot as you see also need to finnish the lettering on the cover needed sugestions form people on the color. I loved Excalibers suggestion on Black letters and grey backround. Cant wait for my next payday to finnish. Then I need to decide interior Mods. (Wife not happy LOL)

#43 ·
I just took delivery of my new SXT Caliber with the 2.0 engine. Does anyone know if thet are supposed to come with a Plenum/Engine Cover. If you look @ a Caliber Brochure @ a Dodge dealer, all the engines are pictured with that cover.I did pop the hood on another SXT with the 2.0, and there was no cover.....
I took the liberty of moving you post to the thread that was started some time ago on the same topic.

The engine covers are no long offered. Delivery of Calibers with the covers ended several months ago. It's not even offered as an option.

#45 ·
Does the caliber come with an engine cover, like a cowling, Everytime I open my hood and look at the engine its seems there is something missing, I have a Pontiac Van and it has a plastic cover over the engine says 3800 SFI, just seems strange that there is no cover and all you see is wires,

Just curious, I asked my salesman when I purchased the vehicle but he told me quote:
" I don't think so"

if anyone can tell me that would be great...

#46 ·
Your post has been moved to an existing thread on the topic. To answer your question: sadly, not anymore.:(

#47 ·
Not a mod question, but engine question.

Hey guys

New here, and just got a caliber.

I looked at the engine for the first time, and im wondering, should there not be a plastic cover on top of the engine encasing it? That states, i think they say VTT and the liters of the engin?

I have an SXT Sports 2.0L...

I remember seeing this on the 1.8 i had test drove, it had that plastice cover over the engine.
Just wondering.

Thanks!

#48 ·
Fuzzai, I merged your thread into one that already answers your question; which is no. It appears it is no longer standard issued on all calibers. I think the general consensus was a cost cutting measure by Dodge.

#52 ·
I'm not totally convinced that it's just as simple as buying the cover, which from what I understand isn't that expensive. It's whether or not you have the mounting hardware (the posts that hold the cover on) and if the mounting hardware can be bought and how easy is it to install them.

#53 ·
The mounting hardware consists of four "ball studs" that simply screw onto the exposed engine studs. They can be easily installed by hand and then fully tightened with an allen wrench. Once these are installed, simply snap the cover in place. (You'll need to remove the engine oil dipstick first - just remember to put it back once the cover is in place).
My SXT did not come with the engine cover so I had the dealer order one. When it came in they realized that the mounting studs were not with it. The parts guy didn't know that they were a separate component and had to dig to find them in the parts book. Two days later they were in, they dropped them in the mail to me, and it took all of about 2 minutes to install.
If the engine cover is still available, then these will be as well.

Steve

#54 ·
The mounting hardware consists of four "ball studs" that simply screw onto the exposed engine studs. They can be easily installed by hand and then fully tightened with an allen wrench. Once these are installed, simply snap the cover in place. (You'll need to remove the engine oil dipstick first - just remember to put it back once the cover is in place).
My SXT did not come with the engine cover so I had the dealer order one. When it came in they realized that the mounting studs were not with it. The parts guy didn't know that they were a separate component and had to dig to find them in the parts book. Two days later they were in, they dropped them in the mail to me, and it took all of about 2 minutes to install.
If the engine cover is still available, then these will be as well.

Steve
Thanks for clearing that up steve.:rep:

#55 ·
Engine Cover

Ok so i picked up my Caliber SXT back in June and was wondering if anyone else got the engine cover on their Cali. I didnt have one on mine and the dealership i bought it from said it wasnt supposed to have one.. Do these come stock or do you have to buy them after the fact.

#57 ·
Engine cover? missing anyone?

Hello fellow caliber owners.

So here's my deal. I examined the engine compartment of my 07 caliber sxt sport, and found that the engine did not have the usual plastic engine cover on it. I thought it was missing, but I have looked around and some say that it is missing the engine on purpose to save on the cost?? :shy: Anyways does anyone have anything on this? I hate staring at the wires on the injectors and what not out in the open. Is there anywhere I can go to get an engine cover outside of the dealership??

#59 ·

So here's my deal. I examined the engine compartment of my 07 caliber sxt sport, and found that the engine did not have the usual plastic engine cover on it. I thought it was missing, but I have looked around and some say that it is missing the engine on purpose to save on the cost?? :shy: Anyways does anyone have anything on this? I hate staring at the wires on the injectors and what not out in the open. Is there anywhere I can go to get an engine cover outside of the dealership??

So here's my deal. I examined the engine compartment of my 07 caliber sxt sport, and found that the engine did not have the usual plastic engine cover on it. I thought it was missing, but I have looked around and some say that it is missing the engine on purpose to save on the cost?? :shy: Anyways does anyone have anything on this? I hate staring at the wires on the injectors and what not out in the open. Is there anywhere I can go to get an engine cover outside of the dealership?? Thanks

Ballz...a.k.a. the wiccan warrior
I have moved your posts to the existing thread on the topic. Start at the top, and enjoy all 6 pages.;)

#58 ·
Engine cover? missing anyone?

So here's my deal. I examined the engine compartment of my 07 caliber sxt sport, and found that the engine did not have the usual plastic engine cover on it. I thought it was missing, but I have looked around and some say that it is missing the engine on purpose to save on the cost?? :shy: Anyways does anyone have anything on this? I hate staring at the wires on the injectors and what not out in the open. Is there anywhere I can go to get an engine cover outside of the dealership?? Thanks

Ballz...a.k.a. the wiccan warrior

#62 ·
Blowing up-doubt that as an outcome.
You may however notice that your Caliber has a little more
engine noise than one with the cover as the cover has
foam insulation on the underside.
The other thing is(this has been debated and supposedly measured)
that your Caliber will run slightly lower operating temps
due to the lack of the cover,ok for summer but maybe slow to op temps
in colder climates.

#63 · (Edited)
The engine cover serves no safety purpose, it's purely aesthetics.;) Some may agree that having the engine cover, poses more of a threat to overheating.:eek:

#65 ·
I dropped my car off at a local dealer, (not the dealer I bought the car from) because it wasnt starting. THey took my cover off and I KNOW I had one on there. I mention to the dealer that it wasnt put back on and he says, "They arent putting them on anymore because it causes to many problems" AFTER he says, "i dont see how one of my guys could of forgot to put it back on" OK Idiots.. HOW would I know of the cover to begin with unless i didnt see it on there!! I think Im calling chrysler about this dealership and perhaps they will send me the part that was removed. Freakin pisses me off!!!!!

#66 ·
I dropped my car off at a local dealer, (not the dealer I bought the car from) because it wasnt starting. THey took my cover off and I KNOW I had one on there. I mention to the dealer that it wasnt put back on and he says, "They arent putting them on anymore because it causes to many problems" AFTER he says, "i dont see how one of my guys could of forgot to put it back on" OK Idiots.. HOW would I know of the cover to begin with unless i didnt see it on there!! I think Im calling chrysler about this dealership and perhaps they will send me the part that was removed. Freakin pisses me off!!!!!
I got my car SXT Feb. 2007 and mine did not come with a cover. The dealer
had a used car on the lot, so he gave me the cover out of that one. I don't know how they could be causing any problem since the 2.4 engines have them. I thought maybe they were trying to cut cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.