Dodge Caliber Forum banner

07 Caliber No brake lights

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Flyinghigh 
#1 ·
Hello,
I recently bought a 2007 caliber, hoped in it yesterday and it was stuck in gear, come to find out I had no brake lights.

All three brake lights are out.

Have checked every fuse and bulb with voltmeter.

Replaced brake light switch twice (thought maybe I messed up install with first switch).

Took Tipm out and examined all connections.

Took Tipm apart and it looks brand new.

Reset Tipm 3 times.

Next step looks like a trip to dealer :(

Also thinking of bypassing Tipm and running power direct to brake light switch.

Open to ideas.

#2 ·
Not on your list, continuity in wiring ?
Where is the power break, at switch, at fuse ..

#3 · (Edited)
Do the other tail light functions work, especially the tail lights that come on when you turn on the headlights? They all share the same ground, so if that's bad none of them will light up.

I took a quick look at the wiring diagram. Power to the brake light switch comes from connector C7, pin 3 of the TIPM. When the switch is activated the power flows through it and hits a splice...one wire from the splice goes to the high brake light, another feeds back to the TIPM (which then presumably shunts the power to the main brake lights or uses electronics to activate them). Since NONE of your brake lights are coming on, that would suggest the power feed wire between the switch and the TIPM (C7 Pin 3) is bad, or fuse #3 (which provides power over that wire) is faulty. Check for continuity.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will have to wait until my son gets home to do a continuity check of all the wires.

All lights works except brakes.

When I check for power at brake light switch there is none with key off. (I am pretty sure there should be power at brakes with key off)

With key on I have power to third pin in (Red wire)

Used code reader and in enhanced dodge codes I found P0571 Brake switch A circuit malfunction, cruise control will not function with problem at brake switch.

Fuse #3 is good.

Thanks

#5 ·
*Update*
Took it to Dodge dealer today and the Mechanic put it on the machine and traced my problem to a broken wire between the TIPM and brake light switch, he told me the most common place for a broken wire is behind the driver side inner fender.
Hope this helps someone else. :smileup:

#6 ·
Ahhh, yes. The infamous tight bundle of wires under the battery tray. I wonder just how much money they saved by not adding two inches of wiring to that harness?

#7 · (Edited)
Found the break, it was an old repair not sealed properly, re-patched it and had power to switch, plugged switch in and no brake lights, eventually took new switch out put old switch in and taa daa Brake lights.

*Thread solved*
:gr_grin:

*Edit: The wire was dark green with white stripe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.