Dodge Caliber Forum banner

2009 caliber sxt start stop problems

7K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Tonatom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello newbi here,I thought i would ask while im looking for answers to my daughters electrical issues.
Started with air bag and abs lites,But still started and stopped running,Next issue dash lites would stay on but car wouldnt start,SO had to remove ground cable and put back on for about 2 months off and on.....
She went to work couldnt turn car engine off engine stayed running with key out of ignition,Finnaly got it stopped by disconnecting aftermarket remote starter bypass relay,Now car wont start or turn over at all dash lites do come on thou.
im looking for a wire diagrahm for starter,I beleave it goes threw the ecu not the tipm pr relays under fender am i wrong...Any ideas other the shooting this horse lol.

#2 ·
I'd probably remove that aftermarket remote starter bypass relay. These frigging cars are very sensitive to any aftermarket crap. The TIPM doesn't like changes. Put everything back to the way it was originally. If that doesn't help, you may need a new switch. IDK, just speculating.

#3 ·
If the car isn't turning off when she turns the key, then I'd agree that your ignition switch is probably faulty. I'd also definitely remove the aftermarket crap...like Flyinghigh said, Calibers don't much like any kind of aftermarket changes to the electrical system. Even trying to use LED headlights instead of regular halogen bulbs can cause weird issues.

#6 · (Edited)
Hello removed the remote car starter today what i found was alot of bare wires but where taped together,they used the t bypass wiring so unplugged removed put the car back to normal,still no starter action so i jumped the starter solenoid it started the shut down several times,Factory alarm working,doors unlock and lock fine.
but when i turn key to start lies on dash stay on when it should be trying to start.
Is the TIPM and ecu one and the same on these cars ??Where is the pcm ecu etc.

#12 · (Edited)
Had to deal with this this morning in fact. Worked a 12 hour shift went to leave work and no start again. Pulled the whole front right side apart and what do I find but 2 relays with rotten pins and one rotten female terminal.

When you pop the top on the relay box there are 4 relays.

Top right is cooling fans.
Bottom right starter
Middle bottom fuel pump
Left bottom is cooling fans too.

#14 ·
Auto part Engine Auto mechanic Automotive exterior Automotive engine part
Electronic component Technology Electronic device

The 07/08s use a different style relay box with 4 Square relays, 09+ they went to the smaller OMRON rectangle relays. Rockauto/ Napa want $18-30 bucks canadian for chinese made replacements.

Digikey.ca or .com has the original omron relays for $6 Canadian I ordered 4 new ones.

You will have to replace a couple pins no doubt if yours has rotted out too.

Right now I have been driving around with only 2 relays and no cooling fans. But she is cold as hell here anyhow, have never gone over 180* on coolant.

I ordered 4 relays for $34 shipped. ($8 flat shipping)

I also removed the relay box from its mount and pulled it up from under the headlight to sit in front of the TIPM box so you can actually access it.

#15 ·
Awsome write up,I switched relays around no change,what I did see is a green wire that is missing some plastic coating and main power wire from battery to Tipm has possibly shorted to ground.
Everything still works but won't start or turn over still....No fuses burnt.

#16 ·
I was able to change the two rotten pins on mine, crimped, soldered and sealed. Also covered everything in dielectric grease inside and under the relay box to prevent further issues with corrosion.

The $5 made in USA relays work perfect.

Oh and just and FYI I had to change my signal bulbs in the front anyhow so I pulled the whole front bumper cover and it only takes maybe 20 min. (YouTube changing caliber Headlights).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.