Dodge Caliber Forum banner

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT Stereo Upgrade Help

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Krazzed 
#1 ·
Hello,
My name is Daphne. I'm having a very hard time finding information on stereo upgrades for my car. I need to replace the stereo because the knobs have shorts in them. Sometimes the whole stereo shorts out. I'm a new caliber owner. I've only had this car for 9 months. Bought it used and the stereo was like that when I got it. I would like to upgrade to an after market stereo that has bluetooth, gps, a back up camera and is iphone compatible. Something like a Pioneer or equivalent as far as quality goes. I have researched for hours and hours and asked siri and googled and am not coming up with much. I have seen that a lot of stereos are universal. However, being my luck and the way it is, I would get one and I wouldn't be able to hook it up to my car and someone would break it trying to install it and I wouldn't be able to return it for a refund. My budget is between $50-$200. I have seen a few models that are the same height and width as my current factory stereo and they have the display screen that pops out and slides up. Multimedia Electronics Technology Electronic device Product
Something along these lines would be better. I think I am more interested in that because I don't want to lose the cubby hole under the stereo or the red dash as seen in these photos. Red Vehicle Car Auto part Wheel
Electronics Vehicle Car Technology Stereophonic sound
The cubby hole is very convenient for my phone, insurance cards, cigs, and other items so I really can't afford to lose it because there isn't much storage space for those types of items. If anyone can help me find something in my price range that has good quality sound and display, has a back up camera, and bluetooth, and is compatible with my car, I would greatly appreciate the help! I'm not so much worried about GPS and the iphone compatibility, because as long as it will connect via bluetooth and I can talk on the phone via bluetooth, connect sound from my phone to the stereo, I can run my mapquest app or GPS on my phone. Would I need to purchase anything else with the kind of stereo I'm looking for in order for it to install and work properly in my car? Would I be able to plug N play? I'm a regular shopper of Amazon, Wish, and Walmart. Does anyone know if a universal stereo would work in my car? Would I also be able to plug n play with a universal? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing is going to be plug and play due to the odd shape of the factory stereo. Most all single or double din kits use a replacement panel.

If you have steering wheel contrls you're going to need to buy the extra wiring harness too which usually isn't cheap. (if you want to retain use of them)

Basically you need a dash kit/mount, Chrysler specific wiring kit for the radio and a new head unit.

#3 ·
I'm having a very hard time finding information on stereo upgrades for my car.

THIS HAS BEEN DONE MANY TIMES BY MEMBERS HERE

I would like to upgrade to an after market stereo that has bluetooth, gps, a back up camera and is iphone compatible.

N/A WHEN NEW BUT CHRYSLER CAME OUT WITH THEIR OWN SYSTEM LATER. NOW CHINESE CHEAPER VERSIONS OUT WITH MORE FEATURES.

Something like a Pioneer or equivalent as far as quality goes.

N/A AVAILABLE PLUG IN COMPATIBLE. SWITCHING TO BRANDED NEEDS ADAPTERS.

I have researched for hours and hours and asked siri and googled and am not coming up with much.

4 MODELS STILL LISTED ON ALI

I have seen that a lot of stereos are universal.

YOU NEED CANBUS (OR ADAPTER) AND MOUNTING RIG AND POSSIBLY FASCIA

However, being my luck and the way it is, I would get one and I wouldn't be able to hook it up to my car

IF IT'S UNPLUGGING AND PLUGGING IN NEW (DISCONNECT BATTERY) SHOULD BE OK

and someone would break it trying to install it

INSTALLERS ARE A DIFFERENT BUDGET BUT THEN THEY HAVE MORE OPTIONS

and I wouldn't be able to return it for a refund.

INCONVENIENT WITH MAIL ORDER (AMAZON IS BEST). IF ALI THEN MORE PROBLEMATIC. ALWAYS RESELL.

My budget is between $50-$200.

CHEAPEST NEW UNIT FOR PLUG IN TO CALIBER WAS $310+TAX. I WOULD CHOOSE A HIGHER QUALITY MODEL.
THEY ARE NOT PIONEER BUT IN A CAR AUDIO IS GOOD ENOUGH AND WILL LAST AS LONG AS THE CAR.

I have seen a few models that are the same height and width as my current factory stereo

DONT YOU HAVE THE RABBIT EAR CUTOUTS ?

and they have the display screen that pops out and slides up. View attachment 9211 Something along these lines would be better. I think I am more interested in that because I don't want to lose the cubby hole under the stereo or the red dash as seen in these photos.

ALL THE PLUG IN UPGRADE OPTIONS ARE THE SAME SIZE WITH A LARGE DISPLAY SCREEN, CHEAPEST NEW IS

The cubby hole is very convenient for my phone, insurance cards, cigs, and other items so I really can't afford to lose it because there isn't much storage space for those types of items.

AGREE. I USE THE IPOD HOLDER FOR CARDS. PHONE IS ON A DASHTOP MAT. CIGS (TUT) BUT GUM YES.

If anyone can help me find something in my price range that has good quality sound and display, has a back up camera, and bluetooth, and is compatible with my car,

I HAVE LISTED THE 4 AVAILABLE MAIL ORDER UNITS BUT ALL ABOVE YOUR BUDGET. SO USED OR SALES ARE YOUR OPTIONS.

I would greatly appreciate the help!

YOUR WELCOME HERE

I'm not so much worried about GPS and the iphone compatibility,

MODERN ONES ARE FULLY FEATURE

Would I need to purchase anything else with the kind of stereo I'm looking for in order for it to install and work properly in my car?

CANBUS (OR ADAPTER) AND MOUNTING RIG AND POSSIBLY FASCIA

Would I be able to plug N play?

YES IF A COMPATIBLE PLUG & PLAY MODEL

I'm a regular shopper of Amazon, Wish, and Walmart.

AZN HAS HAD THEM

Does anyone know if a universal stereo would work in my car?

CAN DO WITH EXTRAS - MANY WRITE UPS ON THIS SITE

Would I also be able to plug n play with a universal?

NO - MUST BE COMPATIBLE.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!!
5-Car-DVD-Player-For-Chrysler-300C-PT-Cruiser-Dodge-Ram-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-With-GPS/32834018239 +$310+TAX

For-2006-2008-Dodge-Ram-Car-GPS-Navigation-System-Radio-TV-DVD-BT-iPod-3G-WIFI/32235131640 $456+TAX

Android-4-4-4-For-Dodge-Calibe-Caravan-Charger-Dakota-P-U-Durango-Intrepid-Magnum-Neon/32581847140 $449+TAX

item/Car-DVD-GPS-Audio-Navigation-Radio-for-2006-2007-2008-Dodge-Caliber-with-AUX-USB-SD/32834363396 $314+TAX

Currently on AZN

Autosion Car DVD Player GPS Navigation Radio Stereo Headunit For Jeep Dodge Chrysler 300C Dodge Ram Durango Caliber $330+tax

Witson® Quad Core 16GB Android 4.4.4 Car DVD GPS Navi Autoradio for Jeep Cherokee Compass Patriot Commander Touch Screen in Dash Navigation System, Navigator, Built in Bluetooth A2dp, Sd AUX USB Input Radio (Am/ Fm) with Rds, 3g, Phone Book, Ipod Controls, Analog Tv, Touch Screen, Free Map, Steering Wheel Control, Rear View Camera Input $450+tax

Rupse For Chrysler 300C, PT Cruiser, Dodge Ram, Jeep Grand Cherokee 5 inch HD Android 4.4.4 GPS Capacitive Screen DVD Player Car Navigation Stereo $428+tax

Witson® 5" For Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Commander Compass Patriot Car Stereo GPS Navigation Bluetooth Ipod Radio Audio Capacitive Touch Screen $330+tax

NOTE the rear cameras are always an extra option.

#4 · (Edited)
Couple more cheapish options for completeness

WINce -

som-automotivo-CAR-DVD-radio-Player-for-chrysler-300c-GPS-navigation-can-bus-steering-wheel-control/32719027227 $300+tax

WINCA-S160-Android-4-4-4-CAR-DVD-player-FOR-CHRYSLER-300C-TP-Cruiser-car-audio/32781632587 $360+tax

5-Inch-Car-DVD-Player-For-Chrysler-300C-Dodge-RAM-Jeep-Commander-Compass-Wrangler-Grand-Cherokee/32780095549 $274+tax

Car-dvd-Player-for-Jeep-Commander-Patriot-Compass-Wrangler-Grand-Cherokee-Dodge-RAM-Chrysler-300C-DVR/32754457455 $262+tax

Android-4-4-S160-Quad-Core-Car-GPS-Navigation-DVD-Player-For-Chrysler-300c-Dodge-RAM/32793035499 $344+tax

Quad-core-android-6-0-4G-lite-Car-DVD-Player-for-Chrysler-300C-PT-Cruiser-Dodge/32808667821 $331+tax
INCLUDES CAMERA

2017 QUAD CORE MODEL - LOOKS LIKE A BEST BUY

Reactions: rdavishobbs
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.