Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Headlight problem

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Flyinghigh 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I've read multiple threads in this forum regarding headlight problems. I've seen suggestions about checking the wiring but haven't been able to locate a reply that says anyone has traced the problem to faulty wiring. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?
Now to my situation. Last week I noticed that my left low beam was not working. The right low was still on as I'd unlocked the door to open the hood. I removed the left light and when I did it came on. It went off when it timed out so I turned the switch on and played with the wiring and it stayed on. I turned off the light and rechecked and it was still working. The problem recurred the next day so I again removed the light and it came on momentarily but then went out. The low beam filament looked odd. Here's a picture:
Coil spring Suspension Screw

I suspect the filament somehow became a short and took out the mosfet or whatever is providing power to it from the TIPM.
I saw a video describing how someone got the light working by tapping into the opposite headlight but I'm concerned that the current draw might cause another failure. I'm thinking about using the power from the other headlight to enable a new relay which would in turn apply power to the problem bulb. The power to energize the relay would be minimal. I realize that the headlight would no longer gradually shut down as it did originally but I don't foresee any other problems. Any ideas?
Jim F.

Added: that blue coloration is an artifact of the scanning to create the image not some weird electrical effect.

See less See more
#3 ·
I saw a video describing how someone got the light working by tapping into the opposite headlight but I'm concerned that the current draw might cause another failure. I'm thinking about using the power from the other headlight to enable a new relay which would in turn apply power to the problem bulb. The power to energize the relay would be minimal.
That's the only way it's been done on here.

#4 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
Ton - I'm not sure what you're asking when you say "first". I have a new bulb installed but there is no voltage to the low beam.
Aleks - I couldn't locate a post describing someone's experiences with using a relay. Could you help me with that? I often do something but then realize that another way would have been easier, better, or simpler. And when you say "only way" does that mean the problem has never been with the wiring?
Jim F.

#5 ·
The most troublesome spot for wiring reported was under the battery tray where it passes metal.
Otherwise wiring breaks where most accessible have been fixed by unravelling the wiring loom.

It's just too expensive to do a lot of dismantling to find every break, and the loom is poor quality anyway.

Other than TIPM resets lighting fails have always been wiring since running new wire has 'solved' the issue.

Few members document or detail their fixes, some just return to say it was done and method.
Relay can be mounted to the body anywhere convenient for your wiring routing.

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Headlights now working and here's a wrap up. In order to gain access to the right headlight wiring I removed the three reservoirs aft of the headlight to get a little working room. I cut the wire to the right low beam and stripped the insulation from both ends of the cut and added a new wire long enough to get to the left headlight area and joined the three ends with a wire nut and replaced the reservoirs. Only had two connectors that would slip on the terminals of the new relay so crimped one on the wire from the right light and attached it to one of the relay coil terminals. Here's a pic of the relay:
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part

Soldered a new wire to the other coil wire and attached it with a lug to the nearby ground.
Attached the other slip on connector to the lead going to the right low beam and attached it to one of the normally open relay contacts. Soldered another wire to the remaining n. o. terminal, long enough to reach the positive battery terminal, and crimped a lug to the end and attached it.
After spending a fair amount of time looking over the posts in this forum it appears that the only wire problem I could find relating to the headlight wiring was likely due to someone yanking on the wires and not some inherent problem. I seem to recall asking in a different thread were someone who suggested a possible wiring problem if they had personal experience with this but it wasn't responded to so take that for what it's worth. I did come across a post where someone with the headlight replaced the TIPM with another used one and had a problem with the opposite headlight. Seems like whatever is in the TIPM is a weak spot.
I believe I caused my TIPM problem by not disconnecting the battery before messing with my left lamp so strongly suggest doing so before doing anything with the headlight or, for that matter, any other wiring problems.
Jim F.
P.S. For some reason I'm not able to preview this post so that's my excuse for any problems with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.