Dodge Caliber Forum banner

2008 Caliber srt 4 crankshaft dimensions

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  barra340 
#1 ·
Just signed up to get some help with a customer's Caliber. Car is a 2008 Caliber SRT4 with a 2.4 turbo.

Engine came in with a slight knock, piston slap or mild connecting rod noise. Removed engine and tore down. Rod bearings on 2 and 4 showed metal displacement, but not spun. Tang was missing on cyl. 2 lower bearing. Other CR bearings ok, with minor scratches, probably from metal ingestion of tang from number 2 bearing. Crank showed no serious scratches. Sent crank for polishing and measuring. No taper or out of round on crank mains or rod journals so they polished. But here's where the problem comes in...

The crank is measuring 2.045 on the mains, and around 1.880~ on the rods. Now looking at the service manual ( i have the FSM), this car should have a crank with main journals at 2.362 and rods about 1.968. I double checked the mains and got pretty consistant at 2.045, and rods and 1.880 (thought i read my instruments wrong). I can't find bearings to fit those specs. Was looking at Clevite's site and even they list their mains at 2.3+ and rods at 1.9+. Am I missing something? The only crank I could find with these specs is a 1999 420A with similar main and rod bearing measurements.

I could understand having to machine parts to fit, but this is a third of an inch or so on the mains, and a tenth on the rods. I was looking at the mopar replacement rod/connecting rod from modernperformance.com, but where do I get bearings?

Any help is appreciated.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.