Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Tranny Oil Change, and "change interval" mileages

8K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  Fyrstorm 
#1 ·
So!

I was in my local dealership to get the oil changed, and the tranny oil changed at the same time. Fellow behind the counter says he has all the parts and it'll be a few hours and offered a shuttle to take me home, so I did.

About an hour and a half later, I get a call from them. Turns out it appears that, according to them, I am the first Caliber owner to bring it in for the tranny service in ONTARIO.... I find that hard to believe as I'm sure others drive more than I do (had it a year now and I have 45000km on it) but I guess it's possible.

Service person says they don't have the oil, OR the filter (*cough*toldpartswerein*cough*) and that the jury is still out on when to do the service. They are deciding between 45000km-ish or 95000km-ish.

Really strange!!

#2 ·
I wouldn't worry yourself over the transmission fluid change anyway, the manual states that it be changed every 60,000 miles (100,000 km). So you're just nearly half way there, although it's completely up to you how often you want to change it.;) :D

#3 ·
I wouldn't worry about it either. The tranny fluid is very expensive because of its synthetic chemical makeup, and the fact that it has small pieces of rubber in it to give the belt traction. The tranny is also a sealed unit, which reduces contamination. I also believe (could be mistaken) that because of the rubber bits, there is no filter. I would follow the recommended interval, and leave it at that.;)

#5 ·
Hey hows it going, i was wondering at 45000 miles does the cvt feel slower, faster on pickup or is it still the same as when you bought it, i would appreciate any info thankx:wavey:
That's 45000 Km, not miles. Works out to about 28000 miles.;)

#8 ·
Cvt

Well i went to dodge this morning to order my after market spoiler and asked them how the cvts were holding up and he said he hasnt heard anything yet, so this is a good sign,, allso he said that the cvt basically is a snowmobile transmission,, can u believe that. so i stopped being scared of it and just drive the heck out of it, beings its under warrantee, and if i decide to keep it, then i will get the extended 100,000 mile warrantee, so i dont ever have to worry about it again. one more thing, in case anybodys interested, i smoked a ford 150 v-8 tritan from a red light as he thought he could out accellerate me, and the rpms didnt go past 5000, and that is from Ls to D,, ROCK ON BABY:D

#9 ·
Interesting that I was just at the Dodge dealer in Skokie, Il. And while there since my Cal is at almost 30,000 they pulled out a brochure with there reccomendations at 30 k which includes the tranny service, and other stuff at like almost 500 bucks and there is an* which at the bottom states.... fluids, shop materials blah blah extra?
Just the tranny service is about 200 bucks if one prefers to have just that done.

In my dealer I think it is a way to get more services done sooner so they can make money... I am sticking with the manual that says at 60k. And hopefully at 60K will have get that done for tranny and some other fluids that get changed/flushed etc. :i_rolleyes:

#10 ·
I was talking to the service manager at my Dodge dealer about the cost of transmission service and when quoted me something in area of cost. I asked him why it cost so much to drop the pan, put in a new filter and refill. He informed when servicing the CVT they have to remove all the ATF unlike what would happen on a regular automatic transmission. But he stated you only need to have it done at 60,000 mile intervals. I can live with that.

#11 ·
What's interesting, is if you fall into the "normal" schedule, you never need to change the tranny fluid.:rolleyes:

#13 ·
That seems quite strange to me, considering every other maintenance schedule was cut in half in schedule B, form the normal condition schedule A. You would think then that the tranny service would be done at 120,000 miles (200,000km) under normal conditions.:confused:

#14 ·
I agree.

Given the extreme pressures and temperatures the CVT produces I'd feel more comfortable changing the fluid every few years. Unless it turns out to be a real money pit I'd like to keep the Caliber for at least 200,000 miles. I'd prefer to do the maintenance during that time rather than replace the transmission at some point.

It's too bad it's not something a DIY'er can do.

#15 ·
I'm wondering if it was inadvertently omitted. In any event, I will have mine changed at the 60K just to be safe.

#16 ·
I'm wondering if it was inadvertently omitted. In any event, I will have mine changed at the 60K just to be safe.
I agree with that, why take any chances on a possible error in making the manual.

#18 ·
Just got back from the same dealer I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. They now have the number of 98 000km, but it doesn't cost much more than a regular tranny change. I was quoted $79.95 when I dropped it off to get both the oil and tranny oil done, since they said 60 000km to change it. Because of xmas I missed the 60k but went in at 65000km (40500mi), and thats when they told me 98k. hehe!

I even wonder if they quoted me the right price :p

But, still going like normal. Still feels normal. All good.

#19 ·
The interval is 60,000 miles, or 96,000 Km. It's in the manual. Am I the only one that reads the manual?:wow:

#23 ·
You made me look!! I took out the schedule and checked to see if I would fall under the "severe" schedule A. It would seem that anyone living where it snows falls under this category because temperatures do fall below 32F/0C. Although its not always that low, it does reach that a few times through out the season.

So does that mean in the seasons it doesn't hit below 32F, I can go every 6,000miles for an oil change instead of every 3,000?

Hey If I didn't ask, someone else would of.. or thought about it! Thank you! LOL

#24 ·
You made me look!! I took out the schedule and checked to see if I would fall under the "severe" schedule A. It would seem that anyone living where it snows falls under this category because temperatures do fall below 32F/0C. Although its not always that low, it does reach that a few times through out the season.

So does that mean in the seasons it doesn't hit below 32F, I can go every 6,000miles for an oil change instead of every 3,000?

Hey If I didn't ask, someone else would of.. or thought about it! Thank you! LOL
For me personally, I would not go 6000 miles unless I was using synthetic.

#26 ·
I have been doing the every 3,000 mile change.. sometimes 4,000 because of my hectic life and schedules. I was suprised that it showed 6,000 intervals.

Some manufacturers suggest 7500, but I'd never go that long.:shakehead:

#27 ·
A recent article in the Dodge magazine stated that Chrysler will be moving to longer oil change intervals. The reasoning behind it is better lubricants, gas, and engine technology as compared to 30 years ago.

#29 ·
On TV some GM vehicles can have oil changes when the car's onboard system
determines that it needs to be done.
I've seen that, but I wouldn't even pay attention to that, I'd still do it the old fashion way.;)

#30 ·
Didn't some one post that the 08 Caliber has an oil change milage
minder that puts up a message that it's time for oil change?

#31 ·
my 08 caliber oil change rang in at 9000km. well just over. took it in to the dealer and he said he was going to do a whole engine flush etc because it was so far over kilometers. I argued with him that my manual says 10000k for oil changes and he said no way. after discussing for 15 minutes that my manual says 10k and every other manual says that he looked it up on the computer and it shows at dodge as being every 12k. he even called over the service manager to have a look. I'll be running 10k to 10k or whenever my oil change light beeps ( you have 500 km from the oil change light on to get one done). they were boggled by this because the 07's were 5000km oil changes he said. I can't be sure as I don't have an 07 but so far so good.

#33 ·
yeah my caliber tells me when to change the oil...but I think it is set for every 6,000 miles when it is reset but I will have to wait and see.
The 2008 manual states the oil change interval as not to exceed 6000 miles/10000Km. This is the normal service interval for the 2007. There is no severe service interval for the 2008 like the 2007, which is 3000 miles. I guess Dodge has finally wised up to the fact that most people truly don't fall into a severe category with the quality of engines, oil, and filters. And don't forget, they wouldn't have gone this way if they weren't sure of it...they have a lifetime powertrain warranty.

If everyone adopted this 6000 mile interval there would be no need to send our oil dollars to terrorist nations.;)

#37 ·
I've heard bad things about using a full synth oil in the car before the engine is fully broken in. something about the car not wearing in right before the synth oil starts to fill the pockets/wear areas in the engine. did all of you with full synth wait until your car was broken in before the switch?

#38 ·
That is old logic. Many cars are now coming from the factory with synthetic oil. Engines are machined to almost zero tolerance which is something that 30 years ago, before computers, was impossible. Those that perpetuate that old logic do no one any good.

#40 ·
Hi Folks! My caliber has 49,347 miles on it...and is sitting at the dealer waiting for a new CVT! I was driving home from work when the transmission overheat light came on. I pulled over, the manual says light will come on while driving in hot conditions at high speeds. I was going 60mph but the air temp was 3 below zero. Light went out so I tried to make it home...went into limp mode. I had it towed to the dealer, the CVT did a melt down, totally destroyed. It is out of Dodge warranty but I had purchased an extended thru CNA....CNA is flying an inspector in to ok the replacement and they are paying for my rental car....I hope this is just a fluke!

#41 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.