Throttle Body Replacement DIY

Tools
MM Socket set
Socket Extensions
Socket Wrench
Inch Pound Torque Wrench - Optional
Parts
Throttle Body - 04891735AC - Fits 07-13 Dodge Caliber, Also fits
07-13 Jeep Patriot 07-13 Jeep Compass 07-13 Dodge Avenger 07-11 Chrysler Sebring, 12-13 Chrysler 200 FOR SELECT MODEL FITMENT, YOU MAY USE THIS WEBSITE TO CONFIRM
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/
Optional Part - 68018956AC - Throttle Body Connector and Wiring Repair kit, I purchased mine here
http://www.factorymoparparts.com/
View attachment 7773
Here is a photo of the engine bay before any work would be started. To pin point where the throttle body is, You can see the air intake box right behind the car battery, moving from right to left in the photo, the air intake box has a long cylinder tube that attaches to one end, If you follow that Cylinder Tube down you will find that the tube attaches itself the the Throttle body.

Tools
MM Socket set
Socket Extensions
Socket Wrench

Step 1
Unplug negative battery terminal after removing the air intake attachment covering battery (not in photo)

Step 2
With an 8 mm socket, loosen clamp holding cylinder to air intake box
View attachment 7774
Step 3
Remove 02 senor from Air intake cylinder by sliding red tab directly back away from cylinder, another tab on 02 sensor will also need to be pinched down to remove from plug

Step 4
Remove air intake box by pulling straight up (intake box is not bolted in to place, but has 3 formed extensions that are pushed into 3 holes, when you pull straight up with some force the box pops right off. This may be a good time to open it up and check air filter and replace

Step 5
Follow the Air intake cylinder tube down to where cylinder attaches around Throttle body, with an 8 mm socket, loosen the other clamp. Once loosened, attempt to wiggle the cylinder away from the Throttle body. (Note: A Push mount zip tie cable attaches the wiring here so cut zip tie and move wiring clear)
***Once this Cylinder is removed you also have access to visually inspect throttle body for debris and carbon build up. You may also clean the Throttle body at this step with Throttle body cleaner and a cloth or toothbrush to gently remove the build up. You may also push the Throttle body to ensure the the Throttle body flap moves freely when pushed and is not stuck. A simple diagnosis without actually replacing the Throttle body or moving forward but based on research, these throttle bodys are known to fail early due to abnormal wear of the internal gears.
View attachment 7775
View attachment 7776
Step 6
Here is the throttle body, attached by 4 bolts (from memory these are either 10 or 12 mm)and a metal piece shaped like an L, and the Throttle Body Connector. Remove the connector by pinching both sides together and pulling up. (Note: These Connectors can become very fragile, the wiring and pins that go into these connectors are easily damaged so be prepared to replace this connector just in case of a break or discovery of damaged wiring, THIS CONNECTOR SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED IF DAMAGED DURING THIS PROCESS
Lastly remove all 4 bolts from Throttle Body and 2 addtl bolts that attach the metal L piece, then remove throttle body

Step 7
Install new Throttle Body and Reinstall all steps in reverse - Consider using a inch pound torque wrench when bolting the throttle body back onto the engine. Always be aware never to over-tighten cast iron parts to the aluminum block, you may damage the threads.
- I did not use an inch pound torque wrench, I spoke to my mechanic friend(audi certified) and they said tighten the bolt to where the bolt touches the throttle body, then give it a 1/4 turn. You may always pull up the service manual, which can be found in this forum, and find the torque specs for a more accurate fit.

Note: Prior to reconnecting battery, a good suggestion is to wipe the memory from the PCM, follow this procedure:
You have to disconnect BOTH battery cables and hold them, tie them, vise grip them, etc. together for ten to fifteen minutes. - From Flyinghigh post
Additionally, research also suggests that you can do your own relearn of the throttle position sensors by following this procedure:

1) Turn key to ON position (not ACC), but DO NOT start engine.... now wait a few seconds for the dash lights to clear

2) slowly & steadily press accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly release at same rate.
NOTE: This step must be done ONE TIME only to ensure accelerator pedal position sensor calibration has been
learned by the ECM

3) Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow the PCM to learn the new electrical parameters

I will follow up this write up with a detail on replacing the Throttle Body connector since this could, in essence, be used to replace any damaged connector on any Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge with OEM repair kits

See less See more
#3 ·
Success!!!

My 11 year old daughter and I followed your instructions and it worked! I really needed her help as there were a couple of tight squeezes I could not fit my arm into. Much respect to folks who do this every day!!! I can't tell you how cool it was to start it up with my daughter and have it run again... The fist bump was priceless!

Thank you,
Tim.

:woohoo:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.