Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Caliber in High Speed Chase!

8K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Aleks 
#1 ·
It's 12:58 MDT and I'm watching on TV news of a red Caliber R/T being high speed pursued by a butt load of cops in Phoenix. The guy has also been firing at the cops. I wonder how long it will be before the CVT overheats and shuts him down.:gr_grin:

#2 ·
12:10 and the guy is heading west on I-10 and has left Phoenix at this point.

#3 · (Edited)
****! The guy turned off on to a dirt road and drove a while. He stopped, got out of the car with a hand gun, ran about 100' and before the news could cut the video feed; the guy put the gun to his head and blew his brains out. DAMN!:(

#5 · (Edited)
Friday's events started when the suspect carjacked a red Dodge Caliber.
The car reached speeds of up to 110 mph.

Notoriety --> copycats ?

Man Shoots Himself On Live TV After Car Chase Near Phoenix

broadcast on live television Friday afternoon. Fox 10 reports that the man, driving a red Dodge Caliber, pulled off I-10 westbound and onto a ...

NEW

52 minutes ago | 1 view

by KickAsshTv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkdjoQ8Y114&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwMiQ4oZbIs&feature=channel&list=UL

#7 ·
Yeah, the Fox news video is just the part after the video feed cut off. The problem is that even though they had cut to a 5 second delay; the video operator was 1 second slower than the delay. The copter camera man was zoomed in pretty close and I could see the brain matter flying out just before he fell on his face. It was not what I was expecting.

#8 ·
I wonder if they'll auction off the Caliber? I'd still like to have one, but don't know if I'd be willing to drive that far to get it. I have no sympathy for dumbasses like that.

#9 ·
Jebus.. Thats intense... o.0 Sorry you had to witness that...

#11 · (Edited)
How do you know? I looked real close and the hood didn't look like an SRT4's. I based it being an R/T because of the rear spoiler being body color and the lack of the SRT hood.

#12 ·
Definitely not an SRT hood.
Also, body color spoilers were available as an aftermarket MOPAR accessory for any version of the Caliber. So it could have been anything other than an SRT, but it looks like it has chrome wheels, so as Brad said - very likely an R/T.

#14 ·
Hood scoop - maybe. Rear diffuser - maybe.
News report said speeds approached 110 MPH - slow for an SRT4, about the limit for an SXT or R/T.
Considering the driver was deranged, I'd think he'd have the SRT floored.
I believe a CSRT4 can get up to 150 ish stock.

#15 ·
I watched it as it happened in HD. At the point the guy got out of the car, I stood 4' from the screen. I did not see an SRT4 hood. The part you saw in some of the photos that was dragging was originally hanging even with the back window. I think it was the plastic underside of the rear spoiler.

#19 ·
Got to be a CSRT4:

Stock Rear Diffuser:

You can see the heat vents in this view:

Score one for you. Those pictures are from angles I hadn't seen during the chase. It's clearly an SRT4.:smileup:

#18 ·
I bet the only thread on the net discussing this is talking about diffusers!

#21 ·
Yeah, I saw that picture on the Fox site also, but I clearly saw that part hanging off the back window as it streaked down the highway. I wonder if the person he stole it from had recently got it ripped off while going over a speed bump and tied it onto the back wiper so it wouldn't drag on the ground.

#24 ·
Always a shame when someone takes their own life. :shakehead:

#25 ·
btw: did anybody else notice that this thread is located in the section “Kills and More Kills“?

#26 ·
^^ Tragically ironic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.