Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Warranty rip off ?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Aleks 
#1 ·
Hi there,

1st post here !

So I have a '08 Caliber SXT. I always was diligent with the maintenance, lube, tire changes, etc...

Warranty recently expired due to how old the car is (slightly > 3 yr), but I am still way below the 60K limit (I'm at around 42K KM).

When having my lube done / tire changed in the past I did mentioned multiple times (2-3 at least) that there was some kind of rattling, but got always told everything looked good, they did not find anything and nothing had to be done.

Had my tires changed today and mentioned the rattling again. This is my 1st time at the dealer since my warranty expired.

The thing is, I get a call back a few hours after and they asked permission for:
- Loose left front outer tie end ==> needs replacing
- Left front strut leaking ==> needs to be replaced
- Exhaust resonator noisy ==> needs replacing ==> that is what's caused the rattling

Overall bill, including labour is ~1400.00. Only had the tie end repaired at this time for safety, the rest, I am waiting to have a good talk with the Service Manager tomorrow and Chrysler Canada.

I'll try to have them do all 3 repairs above under warranty, but I dunno if I'll be successful.

Problem is, I asked for a copy of all the bills I had since I had my car and they never bothered putting the rattle comments I made in any of the bills, which I find extremely frustrating because the problem did exist before the Warranty ended and now that the Warranty is gone, they suddenly find all kind of expensive problems...

1st question: Anyone had that kind of problems with their Caliber ?
2nd question: Is it just me or my dealership is trying to rip me off ?

Thanks for reading !

An unsatisfied customer...

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes - car dealerships are totally scummy weasels!
They knew you had a problem, then put you off until they "could make a killing"
Go ahead and have your talk - I wish you luck.

When I said dealerships - I meant all brands. Rip-off artists are not limited to just Chrysler.

#3 ·
You need to ensure everything is documented from this point on. I make sure my dealer adds a line on my service ticket when I ask them to look at something.

If you had the same service adviser each time, then you need to ask to see his boss. Don't let him try to fix it, or offer you a deal, just say you want to talk to his boss (generally a Service Manager). If he's worth his salt, he'll fix you up, and give your service adviser a good reaming...

#4 ·
Front end issues are common across all Caliber Compass Patriots.

If you were diligent you would have joined a Forum with your new vehicle and followed the story from the beginning.

We do keep talking about this and advise all our members to have their front ends checked out and replaced before the warranty runs out.

Little sympathy coming on here winging after it's expires.
But being helpful the front Lower Control Arms are avaialble as a pair for $99 on eBay from Montreal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.