• Have CVT, Don't like it, Would not buy another

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Don't have CVT, But would like to try one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't have CVT, Not interested in trying one

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I really dunno...lol

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Had CVT, will take another if only AT choice in new vehicle.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I'm with Mouser!

Votes: 1 3.4%

CVT Now, And Later...

10K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  alhonesty 
#1 ·
Just having a thought...

Those of us with CVT Calibers, will you get another car w/ a CVT or do you plan to go back to a traditional geared tranny? I've come to like the smoothness of the cvt and will likely look for another in my next ride.

#7 ·
Admins,

Can you add a voting poll to this thread?

1 - Have CVT, Like it, Would buy another
2 - Have CVT, Don't like it, Would not buy another
3 - Don't have CVT, But would like to try one
4 - Don't have CVT, Not interested in trying one

#9 ·
Sure, for the wife... Not for me though, i like to use a clutch...lol

#14 ·
Lately I'd been looking around @ new cars online even though another purchase wouldn't occur in another 3-4yrs. I'd definitely want the next car to have AWD and Subaru has the best implementation. They also have a CVT in their Legacy now. So that was an idea.

#15 ·
Missing poll option:

-disgruntled ex CVT owner who'd rather drop a soap in prison than be stuck driving one again

#16 ·
I can't agree. As I stated before, the issue with no throttle response had nothing to do with the CVT. As I remember, you never had any CVT issue like I did, just the throttle.

#17 ·
I dont mind the CVT, but its definitely not as smooth as my ZZP Racing tranny that was in my Grand Prix. Id prefer a stick, but my wife cant drive one so Im stuck with some form of automatic regardless.

#21 ·
Neither actually. Because mine wasn't tied to turning to either sides.

#25 ·
I'll stick to regular automatics. With the factory tune, my 6 speed (Mustang) automatic shifts smooth and seamless.

#26 ·
Over the last few years i have gone from Caliber CVT, Patriot CRD 6 speed Getrag manual, Avenger 2.4 4 speed auto with Autostick feature. My wife has 5 speed auto Skoda . I am considering changing ( Again ) back to Skoda myself the model I have chosen has a 6 speed DSG auto box. AS an Ex big bus driver , I'll drive any sort of trans. as long as it turns the wheels !!!!

#29 · (Edited)
i have no intial punch when i floor the gas pedal. i get a 2 second delay, then the engine decides to go. from a stop light. it takes 4 seconds to get to 25mph, but it takes another 5 seconds to get to 60mph. so, i assume my issue is with the CVT. you thoughts please ?
The CVT equiped Caliber is a bit of a funny critter when it comes to making it "Go". "Flooring it" doesn't work as well as about half throttle does. Since it's a 'fly by wire' throttle, the computer is only going to open it as much as IT wants, not you. But, give it half and the computer will be happy to let you have that. Once the car has started to move, you can mash it and get results. But, I've still found you'll get more "go" with less pedal than you'll get by flooring it.
Doing the "Procedure" is well worth the time it takes to do too.

#31 ·
#30 ·
After about 2 years of ownership – here’s the real deal:

Speeds

0-10 MPH – weak acceleration, due to the small torque converter
10-12 MPH – torque converter locks up and the system goes into direct drive.
10 MPH + - excellent acceleration.

My personal experience is that the Caliber accelerates as good as or better than many “daily driver” compact and midsized cars. The smoothness definitely takes some getting used to – this is why many people criticize CVT acceleration – it feels too smooth for people to actually believe the car is accelerating.

RPM’s

No point in going over 2500 RPM until the torque converter locks up. (< 15 MPH)
Best street acceleration occurs at about 2500 to 3000 RPM. (15 to 45MPH)
Best on- ramp acceleration is about 3500 RPM (best 0-65MPH "feel") Avoid going over 4000 or so if you can.
Flooring it causes the CVT to stay in too high of a reduction for too long, preventing any kind of acceleration at all. (Flooring the car just plain sucks!)

#34 ·
I'm following the logistics problems with parts coming out of Japan because of the crisis over there and was wondering if the CVT from Jatco was getting harder to get ...

Did not find anything yet that is showing some late delays or cancelling.

By ricochet, I've been reading on the Suzuki Kizashi, and it has the exactly same CVT as the Caliber. :smileup: It's been receiving good reviews. The vehicle is made in Sagara Japan.

The CVT implementation in the Kizashi must be fun to drive. I'd like to try one, one day, just to compare with my Caliber.

#35 ·
I'm following the logistics problems with parts coming out of Japan because of the crisis over there and was wondering if the CVT from Jatco was getting harder to get ...
Did not find anything yet that is showing some late delays or cancelling.
Our CVT's are made in Mexico with mostly North American parts.
Our engines are made in the US, with all North American parts.

Most Japanese and European manufacturers have large operations here on our side of the world. So at this point, there is nothing to worry about.

Also of interest - CNN reports that only 3 miles inland, there are few to no signs of earthquake or Tsunami damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.