Dodge Caliber Forum banner

TPM System Repair Update

16K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Prop1 
#1 · (Edited)
My Caliber was throwing a "Check TPM System" warning when I would turn on the ignition, but then it would go away and everything seemed fine. I had taken it in for that among a few other things to Carmax, and got it back right before Christmas. Well to update further, Christmas morning, a mere two days after getting it back, the message returned. I was leaving for the holidays and when I returned I called Carmax.

The car was out of warranty but since this was a preexisting issue, they begrudgingly gave me a loaner and started looking at it this Monday (Jan 10th). Of course, they were unable to resolve the issue and sent it back to the dealer.

Here comes the fun part:

The dealer tried everything they could to isolate the problem. No luck. They've had to contact Chrysler Headquarters and were given some "tests" to run on it. Singling out each sensor one by one, flipping sensors, and no telling what else. Still no luck.

Back to Chrysler, the dealer has now been told that "the only thing left it could be is the wireless control module". This is what they replaced before, it worked for 2 days. A new one is being overnighted as I write this.

If all goes well, it will be replaced, the message will not come back on and I'll hopefully get it back tomorrow.

Will this be the end of my TPM System nightmare? Who knows! With my luck, two days later it will pop up again. If so..... I'm just living with it!

Oh, and they did not fix the loose wheel well protectors the first time. The tech couldn't hear anything wrong with it and wanted me to come ride along to point it out. They couldn't see anything loose, I had to hand walk them through finding the black plastic protectors. Highly trained technicians I'm sure!

Days I've owned the car:53
Days it's been in the shop:24!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Days I've owned the car:53
Days it's been in the shop:24!!!
This is inexcusable. Is Carmax fixing it or a dealer? If its a dealer, find another one, and demand Carmax have it taken there instead. Paitence only goes so far, sometimes you need to get in someones face.

If I had a truck in my shop bay for over 1 week that has also come back more than 3 times, I'd be fired in a heartbeat.

#3 ·
not to mis lead anyone, the 24 days wasn't at one time. It was over three separate services. And close to half of those days were at the dealer. I agree, if this dealer can't get it fixed, then Carmax needs to go with another one. I just don't know how much I can push the issue now that it's no longer under warranty. I had to be a dick just to get the loaner car I've got now.

#5 ·
24 days in the shop for the same issue still sucks, even if its over multiple trips. In some ways that would make me more upset.
I agree, it definitely pissed me off this last time when the only thing that was corrected was a leaky tire. I've already decided to write an article about my Carmax experience once it's done. I figured I'd send it to a local paper or at least post it to some review sites.

The kicker is none of it is has been critical problems. LCA's sure, but they were fixed correctly the first time, but leaky tire, any competent garage can fix that within an hour; loose protective cover, another quick fix. The TPM System, which has been the most time, is just a luxury.

I need to be sure and get which dealer it was sublet out to so I can avoid them!

Thanks for letting me vent!

#6 ·
Brad needs to repost his Carmax experience. That way, maybe someone will be spared the heartache of their incompetent "techs". Those guys really don't have a clue as to how to work on all of the different vehicles they get in. There may be a few guys who're trained for certain vehicles, but no way they can know all of the domestics and imports. And the TIPM and other electronics on the Calibers are a breed of their own.

Reactions: Francois
#7 ·
And the BS continues. On Friday I recieved a call saying that my car was ready. I got to Carmax and my car was sitting out front. I did a quick check underneath and sure enough, the wheel well protector hadn't been touched. So I went in and immediately told the manager. They had the tech put it on a lift so I could point it out. I did and the tech said it's an easy fix and he'd be done in about 10 minutes. I waited, got my car, checked underneath and the plugs were replaced and tight. I drive off, hit the first big bump and *slap*, the sound was still there. So I pulled into walmart, grabbed some weatherstripping foam and placed it between the gap. It helped some but I noticed several other plastic pieces around the front end that felt loose. Once it warms up outside I'll get under and see what I can do about tightening things up myself. The TPM System is working fine at this point.

I barely drive the car on Saturday and not at all on Sunday. This morning, sure enough, the "Check TPM System" message is back.

So at this point, I've had the car in twice for the exact same thing, 11 days the first time, 6 days the second. It's out of warranty and while technically they will cover repairs for 90 days, I have my doubts they're going to want to work with me on it.

Should I even bother with this again? The TPM System functions after the msg is flashed up, and the slapping sound I think I can narrow it down myself. What would you do?

#9 ·
Check the wheel liners for the slapping sound. Both of mine were improperly installed at the factory. It's a quick fix. All you have to do is remove the plastic push pins and put the liner in it's proper position and then put the push pins back in. The tech took about ten minutes to do mine as I had it fixed under warranty. That's ten minutes per side. If you're going to do it yourself, you may want to locate some new push pins first. They're easy to destroy.

#10 ·
I believe that's what the tech did when I pointed them out to him. If you're referring to the liner in the wheel well that at the bottom curves under the car, yeah, I had him fix the plugs. They might not have been adjusted correctly though. I think he simply replaced the plugs but it I guess it could not be aligned and still making noise.

I called today and spoke with the service manager regarding this. He's aware it's been in the shop several times and luckly I'm off this friday, so I'm going to take it in and drive with the tech (hopefully I can get the manager in too) and point out the exact sounds. As for the TPM System, I'm going to suggest they use a different dealer. It must be something besides the Wireless Control Module for three of them to go out. Stop replacing them and find what's causing them to screw up!

Someday I'll have my sweet Caliber long enough to actually enjoy it!

#11 ·
These guys are making (what I'd consider) a foolish and ignorant mistake. They're throwing parts at the problem, and hoping one of them fixes it. They can't find the real problem, and instead are just condemning the next likley part. Any reputable Dodge dealer should be able to had this to a certified technecian and this should be fixed the first time he touches it.

As Prop1 has suggested, I'd write a letter to Carmax corporate.

#12 ·
Carmax Corporate will be getting a letter soon. I want to make it tactful and not just someone that's pissed off. I agree that they're just wasting parts at this point. Thankfully it isn't my money. I assume Carmax is taking the hit from the dealer on this TPM crap. Then again, they've blown the other issue off.

My thinking is to write this the story up as an editorial, then send it along with a letter to corporate stating that if it's not addressed correctly I'll be sending it out to as many people as possible.

Do you think this would be a good idea or just a simple letter stating the facts and how unhappy I've been with their service?

Man I can't wait to start posting POSITIVE stuff about the car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.