Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Good Deal?

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  David Young 
#1 ·
South County Dealership in the St. Louis Area
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...kId=20012&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

Wow Woody Dealership in the Kansas City Area
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...kId=20012&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

I'm still fairly new when it comes to buying cars, but both dealerships seem to have a good deal when it comes to each having an 08 Black CSRT4 with less than 10,000 miles, clean carfax, and one previous owner. I've talked to quite a few local car enthusiasts and everyone is telling me they are both great deals.
I want to know what you guys would think.
I plan to trade in my Inferno Red 08 Caliber R/T now that I know how to drive a manual.

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I think they're both over priced. They're three years old now. I'd offer about $14,500 for either one and let them negotiate from there. Only you know how much you're willing to spend, but I don't like getting screwed over and if they don't meet my price, then I walk away.

#8 ·
Earlier this year, I'd considered trading mine in on a Journey. They offered me $8,800 for mine and I still owed about $12,000 on it. I figure I'll just drive this until I can't drive it anymore. I got the Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on it, so the major stuff is covered as long as I own it. I've already got 56,000 miles on it, so by the time I get it paid off, it'll have between 125,000 to 150,000 miles on it and won't be worth $2,500 on a trade in.

#10 ·
Yep, im in the same boat as you man, i owe like 11,900 right now, and its worth about 8k.

I also have the lifetime powertrain warranty, so like you, im covered for life on everything powertrain(btw, they cover a LOT of stuff with the lifetime warranty..)

At the same time, id like something faster and a bit more fun to drive every day. I can deal with a car that gets crap mileage, because i drive about 6 miles a day on average..

Seems like dealership where I live jacks up prices quite a lot. Possibly due to there being a military base just a few miles away. I can't go a day without seeing maybe 10 Chrysler 300's leaving the base.
Its hit and miss with the srt4 calibers though.. Ive seen some ridiculous deals on them, and then ive seen them used for as much as 21k.

You also have to take into consideration that its a fairly rare car. I have seen MAYBE 1-2 on the road around where i live since i bought my caliber.

Rarity = dealers mark up the price because they can..

At the same token, the ones by you that are selling for 18k-ish, you can always talk them down. If your car is paid off, then you are in a decent situation. Figure average trade in value is going to be around 7-8k, so the amount you finance will be around 10-11k

For that price, you can easily keep the payment under 250 a month, depending on financing terms.

Now, if your car isnt paid off, and you owe more than they will give for trade in, good luck :str:

#11 ·
The CSRT4's in this area are very rare. I've seen maybe two in the past month. But over the past year there is a local military guy I see a lot go to the park with his kids in his Black SRT.

I'm going with a loan through my bank actually. Got a great co-signer and with my R/T I only pay $273 a month for 5 years. I talked to the loan person at the bank and trading it in or just out right getting a second vehicle still wouldn't kill me while only earning McDonald's money.
Only $402, including the warranty I get through the bank. But the time frame is upped to 70 months or so.
Only thing I am worried about is the sales tax. The insurance is covered and I pay back my payee over time (AKA Mom)
Out of three kids, I'm the only one she trusts to pay her back lol, because I do with anything and been doing so with the R/T.
I know how most military guys are in this area, join and go buy a base mustang. I plan on living in the barracks for a while, so my main payments are car, insurance, and phone. Food of course.
I'll kill myself dealing with McDonald's till I ship out in the next few months, it'll be worth it.

#14 ·
The CSRT4's in this area are very rare. I've seen maybe two in the past month. But over the past year there is a local military guy I see a lot go to the park with his kids in his Black SRT.
Seems like modern Mopars of all kinds are rare around there. Up here I can't take a drive without seeing another Avenger and I can't go thirty seconds without seeing some kind of Dodge driving around (though none of them are usually modded).

I went through Rolla, MO a couple weeks ago to see a friend of mine and when I stopped for gas several people came up and asked me about the car and I got a ton of looks when I was driving through town. Made me feel like a baller...even though I bought my car for less that 20K, lol.

#12 ·
I say DO it, SRT is the SHzz

#13 ·
There isn't much performance wise that I can do to my R/T, so I figure it would be better to trade in for the SRT.
I want something I can make last, less than 10,000 miles, thats where its at.
Joining the military means less miles for me cause I wont be driving in basic lol

#15 ·
Just a word of wisdom. If you do not live in California do not use KBB use the NADA.The KBB is basedon California prices which are generally higher and the NADA Is more of a national price.

As flyinghigh said it is your money and you can use it the way you want. I tried to find the best deal when I was looking and I’m still paying about 2,000 more then I should be.

You can also use Edmunds and auto trader just to get a general idea.

#16 ·
If you have talked to your loan officer about getting a second car what I say is go that route then ell the R/T private owner you can make more money that way hopefully enough to pay off the loan on the R/T.

Also if I can suggest being I enlisted and got screwed on my ship date why not wait on getting another car until after boot?

Jared AKA Adio just came back from his deployment and if you think about it if you leave in a few months your brand new SRT will be sitting upwards to a year if not longer. You don’t know where you will be getting shipped to after boot and AIT if you get stationed in Germany or Korea you might be there for a few years. If you want to be smart with all of your military money save it. So many people join the military and just spend their money on toys save up.

#17 ·
I'm working on saving up for the sales tax. I also had the idea of just selling it privately cause I could make more money that way to go towards the SRT.
I know I could be sent off overseas or some other bull, but I still look at it as keeping lower miles on it. And other than paying for the car ($400 a month), insurance(Estimate: $1500 every 6 months), phone($50 a month), and food(bk ftw). I'll be living in the barracks for quite a while, so I shouldn't actually have to big of a problem saving up money.

#18 ·
My local Chrysler dealer only had and sold two Caliber SRT4's. I have yet seen one on the road where i live. I see many regular Calibers but not one SRT4. If you are going to buy a SRT4, i wouldn't wait very much longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.