Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Make Those Aftermarket Tails Work!

28K views 111 replies 21 participants last post by  Prop1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Last winter I got myself some LED smoked tail lights. Love 'em. For a silver car, I like the look better than big blocky red tail lights.

Problem is, the LED flashers (turn signals) dont draw enough power and the TIPM signals a burnt bulb, clearing the EVIC with message to that effect and accelerating the blinker as a reminder.

While annoying, I lived with it for a while because I just couldn't be bothered with something minor like that. Anyhow, I recently did and now I fixed it. Ahh... much nicer.

Begin by removing the lock pins:

This is the load resistor I used is a 6 Ohm 50 Watt load resistor from SuperbrightLEDs.com. Also in this photo, LED white backup light (center) and stock incandescent light (right):

From the main bulb harness, the BLACK wire is ground, and the OPPOSITE wire is turn signal. Strip wires on a 1cm portion:

and soldier the load resistor on the ground and turn signal wire (right tail pictured):

There is no fore or aft member of the load resistor. Just solder it in parallel.

I used the occasion to put in LED backup light in lieu of the stock bulb:

LED bulb number replaced stock bulb type 921.

Tape everything shut, secure the load resistor on the back of the tail light unit using 3M foam trim tape and reassemble your lights.

for testing this I made sure to use a volt meter to dig out the proper wire and as a precaution, did a small dry test run of the turn signals.

Video herein.

Quick and easy.

See less See more
Reactions: Flyinghigh
#73 ·
Depends on whether it's a smartphone or not. Once you have it where it can be gotten from; click on "Manage Attachments" further down on the "Reply to Thread" window. Then upload it.

#76 ·
I took a closer look at that hyper flasher device.

It's nothing more than a relay. L and L1 are the coil. + gets 12V, and - goes to the bulb. It's the same system for the head lights I describe in this thread: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=26850

Reactions: Francois
#77 · (Edited)
I'm holding a "Bosch type relay" here in my hand right now (you name it I got it)

"-" corresponds to 86 - one of the coil wires
"+" corresponds to 85 - the other coil wire
"I" corresponds to 30 - the SPDT common contact - form C contact (relay armature)
"L" corresponds to 87 - the N.O. contact
"L1" corresponds to 87a - the N.C. contact

Yes, it probably is a grossly overpriced relay.

Did some lookin' - there are flashers that have a bosch base. They look like the one pictured above, and do not use the standard Bosch pin numbering scheme.
So... The mystery deepens...

Something similar.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NF_EP27_0325226259

#88 ·
You need in person help. The can of worms is sitting in front of you. Do you really want to open it with [your obvious] lack of knowledge?

#93 ·
Five pages covering your questions in a thread that had 5 pages when you started. I'm not dissing you, but these cars are a pain for even the most versed on car electrics. They're a pain and you don't seem to have even the basic tools needed to work on electrics. Sometimes it takes tracing wires and throwing a DMM on connectors to see what the wire really is, and referring back to the service manual.

#90 ·
If you had put in a red stock bulb you would not have had the hyperflash.

Now you have the load you can do LEDs.

You will need some extra wiring bulb holders from a Scrap Cali.

You can bridge to the Brake for the signal, or double up back up lights, or fill in a tail LED between the two banks.

#95 ·
What I said, how else is he gonna progress.

Aftermarket tails are a doable mod for all owners.

#99 ·
Ok. I have read all of the forums and I cannot get the LED blinkers to work I have wired in the resistors but my blinkers still blink fast what do I do now from everything that I have read they should be working I spliced the correct wires as far as I can tell when I place a regular Bulp in the socket is dim and does not blink brightly I am not sure if I missed a step I have the 50 W 6 ohm resistors should have gotten different ones ?

#100 ·
Do you have the resistors wired in series or parallel with the lights?

Not to be a wise guy, or anything, but if you can't give a correct answer to this question, and understand why one is correct and the other is incorrect, you should probably seek help from a neighborhood automotive electrical professional.

#101 ·
Thank you your question helped a lot i had it wired wrong and unfortunately I have nobody that knows how to do this stuff around here so i was on my own :shakehead: I hit the books did some research (thank god for google) and once i figured out what i did wrong i could fix it. So now i have no more fast blinker. I am still not 100% on understanding the series and parallel thing but im getting there thanks again :smiley_thumbs_up:

#104 ·
I see that the last entry to this thread was way back in September of 2012. I am wondering if anybody is watching this anymore.
But here is my question,
Does anyone know of anybody installing a 3157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower(Part Number: 3157-A45-T | UPC: 847781019094) from www.superbrightleds.com??
When I put a white one in the rear, the thing started flashing real fast. That and it was not very bright. Found out I need to use red on red lens.
I did chat with superbrightleds.com and was told to use Load Resistor RL-650 on each bulb to get things to work. But if I do that, then my lifetime warranty could or would be voided and I do not want that to happen.
I did/do not really replace the whole tail light. I bet they cost a lot.
Thanks

#112 ·
The person didn't upload the pictures to our gallery and then link to this thread. The result is that they left the forum and deleted the picture from their off site picture storage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.