Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Chill Zone Lights? Indeed

13K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  pspencer75 
#1 ·
So, I turned my concept into reality :ven: and I must say, it feels good. A very simple mod that makes you feel good inside every time you open the chill zone door. I purchased a blue Flex LED from Advanced Auto Parts for about $20.

To get started, take off the door covering the chill zone (CZ) and storage compartment, instructions in PDF found here: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=25069&highlight=cabin+air+filter
There are holes at the back of the CZ you can feed your first light through.
While you're here, may as well take the time to check your cabin air filter; I replaced mine.

There's a hollow area to the left near the latch hook where you can drill a 5/16" hole for the button. (Yes, I kept the button and the battery box attached, my wiring skills are a handicap and changing the batteries occasionally is fine with me).

The excess wires can be concealed near the cabin air filter behind the door, and the other LED light can be put wherever you want, I put mine:

and ran the wire down the side and covered it w/ electrical tape

The trick is to, after getting the CZ door back on, you'll need to improvise with an inconspicuous object secured to the back of the door so that when you open it, it pushes the button in and voila! the lights turn on. I used some spare rubber bump protection nubs w/ adhesive on the back found in any hardware store. View of CZ from the front, ,note the electric tape and wire placement:

And when it's dark:

Thanks for reading everyone, I'd love to get feedback and love to see this improved upon!
-Wilk

See less See more
#2 ·
That is awesome. Rep if I could.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone!

I thought about doing that, and it's definitely an option for anyone who wants to try it.

@ Flyinghigh it took me a combined total of an hour to do this, and anyone with more experience than mine should be set in 35-40 minutes. Unless they go a different route like installing a Normally Closed button, or wiring into the car and installing a manual switch.

#4 ·
It turned out great Wilk!!! :smileup: Nice write up to. Thanks

#15 ·
nice... they all look awesome...
think i have to order a few stuff from aac
;)

#16 · (Edited)
So, I turned my concept into reality :ven: and I must say, it feels good. A very simple mod that makes you feel good inside every time you open the chill zone door. I purchased a blue Flex LED from Advanced Auto Parts for about $20.
Nice! I didnt even see this thread till now. I just did almost the same but with a white strip, and mines tapped to a power source.

Also- if you go to radioshack you can get a "normally closed" momentary switch (it turns on when open) its roughly $3 for a 4 pack.

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=30878

Reactions: ross1316
#17 ·
Great Job folks and thanks for the ideas. Keep em coming. I did this also. I put white LED strip in glove box and top cubby and blue in the CZ. Just felt it would look "colder" with the blue. Now I need to look into the center console cubby lighting................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.