Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Battery light...

13K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Prop1 
#1 ·
hey guys...my battery light is starting to come on when i drive in the rain....could this just be the belt slipping and time for a new belt or the alternator? battery light comes on but volt meter still read 12 off and 14 on..so i dont know if its electrical or just a belt slip...any thoguhts?

#2 ·
Could be the belt, a connection, or the alternator itself. Are you turning the lights on in the rain? I'd start by turning all accessories on to see if the draw causes the light to come on.

#3 ·
it only comes on when it is really wet outside.i it was an alternator problem would the voltmeter still read 14volts while the car is on?

#5 ·
yeah 14....which makes me think the battery is fine and its just the belt...and when the engine is not turned over and the key is just on it reads 12volt so my battery isn't losing charge...so i guess i should just get the belt checked..im coming up on 90,000km

#13 ·
A wet belt can slip without making any sound at all, the water lubricates it and it slips even more - but you don't necessarily hear anything.
Also, in addition to the main output wire from the alternator, there is a two wire plug-in connector that carries power to the field coil AND sends a signal back to the PCM to say that the alternator is working properly. As we all know water and electricity don't mix too well - this connector might be worth taking a look at to make sure it is dry and properly plugged into the alternator, especally since the problem happens only when it rains.

#15 ·
The battery light on my sx comes on every now and then and stays on for a while. This happens at any time,driving in wet or dry conditions, on a slow road or at 70 on a freeway. This has been occuring over the past year and a half. Tonight my battery is stone dead, but a ticking noise is comming from my vehicle every 15 seconds and lasts for about 5 seconds.
I will have a look in the morning and see if I can find out more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.