Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Did I get ripped off?

17K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Blackbelt 
#1 ·
Took my 2007 caliber sxt in today for an oil change and tire rotation, ended up leaving out more than $500.

Car has 48,000km.

$102.27 for Engine Tuneup: replaced all 4 plugs, not sure what else is included in a "tune up" but that seems rediculously expensive considering the cost of the plugs

$28.26 for air filter

$57.37 for oil change, tire rotate

$259 for rear brakes, machined drums and replaced rear shoes

My main concern is that the rear drums/shoes did not need service, and $100 for an engine tune up !?! They told me the front rotors and brakes need replaced and it will be $430. Did I get ripped off? Is dodge that ****ty where the drums last 2.5 years/48,000km ???

#43 ·
Done, worked out pretty well

BB, Louderman,

I ended up replacing the rear pads. The old pads were worn, and yes, we live on a hillside and the road gets rutted like a washboard in winter from 4W/AW traffic clawing snowpack in the uphill lane.

When I looked closely at the old pads, I saw uneven wear between inboard and outboard pads, between right and left side pads and between front and back pads. I suppose it would be ideal if the wear was equal all around, and maybe not unusual if it's not. Anyway, can you tell me the extent to which uneven pad wear is normal and what to do about it, if anything can be done in a practical way?

#44 ·
As a general rule, front pads wear faster than rears in almost all applications. It is much faster for a dealer or any shop to remove a wheel and quickly check brakes for wear that way.

As far as inner and outer pads wering the same, they should wear equally or very close. If not, then you need to grease the slide-pins on the caliper. Generally you should do this everytime you change pads. IF the problem persists, or the caliper is difficult to move on the wheel hub, you may need to replace the slide pins.

Just so you know, all the slide pin does is allow the caliper to move slightly when you apply and relese the brakes, so there is equal pressure applied to both sides of the brake rotor, and so the brkae pads arent dragging on the brake rotor when your driving down the road.

#45 ·
To expound a little on what Louderman wrote, if the calipers hang up, even a little, more rapid than normal brake wear can be the result. When the rears wear out before the fronts, it is commonly due to something like that. Salt and anti skid material can conspire to form a little bit of corrosion and cause the slide pin hang up. As Louderman said, be sure to lube them and make sue they are free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.